Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (delky, Steelonsteel),
235
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 | i want to upgrade my 50 3/4 ton to front disk brakes and independant suspension but keep the 8 lugs. i am going to use the origional rear axle. i am thinking of trying to use a 1 ton chevy van front crossmenber and narrow it. has anyone tryed this or heard of it being done. this truck actually belogs to my wife truck and she wants to drive it. it was bought new by her dad who for years in his trucking company. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Yep, I swapped mine with a narrowed IFS from a '79 1/2 ton.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | Yup it gets done alot.Search around on this site.I think there is a right up in Tech Tips,
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 | When you do it,make a bolt template from the donor frame,it will make it a lot easier to put back together.I used a 78 3/4 under mine.I have some pictures if you want them.
_____________ Floyd If we choose being kind over being right,we will be right every time. Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience. Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it is precious nonetheless. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 | please send me or post the pictures. i need as much guidence as possible. i have the idea, ability but am new to this type of swap. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 | mobileortho, that looks exactly like what i need to do. did you need to modify the frame or just narroww the crossmember? nice job with your. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | mobileortho, that looks exactly like what i need to do. did you need to modify the frame or just narroww the crossmember? nice job with your. No frame mods needed. The cross member was narrowed about an inch & a half and bolted onto my frame.Take tntrucknut's advice and make a template of the bolt holes, it'll make a lot easier. Oh, thanks for the compliment!
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 | Wow! That looks like it was way easier than grafting in a clip. You don't have to worry about the placement of the radiator support and rehanging the fenders because the original frame is still there. Plus you get the driveability of a Chevy. Very cool. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 9 | what steering box did you you use and where did you mount it?
Last edited by pa_snowman; 04/21/2013 8:20 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | All the components came form the donor truck.
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 506 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 506 | It's posts like this that make me sad. I see you guys doing amazing work coming up with inovative solutions to problems with outstanding craftsmanship. I don't have anywhere near that level of skill. If it can't be done with a hack saw and Craftsman 150 piece tool set, it's out of my league. That makes me sad. :-(
Mobileortho: you do beautiful work. Great job!
Thanks
Larry
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | Larry, thanks for the compliment! But don't underestimate your ability! You'd be surprised at what you can do with the tools you have! Heck, add a roll of duck tape to your list and your golden!!! All joking aside, just get out there and turn some wrenches! I was just like you until I decided to take the plunge. The IFS I installed with a drill, grinder & a few hand tools. I also had lots of help from articles and posts by other members. Over time, I worked up the courage to teach myself basic welding,(it's not the prettiest but the metal sticks together) body work, and I'm working on painting now. I'm not doing this to impress anyone, just getting the satisfaction of having done it myself!!
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | |
| |