| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,569 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 56 | Sometime back I came across some info that said the #4 rear main bearing came in two widths, which was a standard or narrow width for automatics and a wide width for standard trans. The wider one appears to be about a 1/4" wider than the other. Now that I looked at the bearings I got on ebay, the #4 bearing is the narrower one, but I need the wider one. First, does anyone have a 216 0.010 #4 wide main bearing (1 5/8"). Secondly, can I use the narrower bearing instead of the wide one. The bearings are for a 216 in a 50 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton pickup with standard trans. The truck will only a slow moving putt-around-town truck. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I ended up with a rear main bearing that was about 1/4" short in width. I was advised on here that it varied between manufacturers. I used it with no problems. I also replaced the rear main seal and it actually does not leak. I am wondering if my good fortune has something to do with the narrow bearing. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 56 | Thanks Truckernix. I have a friend that has a lot of repair knowledge for the 216. He said we needed to do some thrust bearing measurements, and maybe some other measurements, to determine if the bearing will work. I bought a full engine gasket set, which has new seals and new rear main rope seals, so hopefully we can start puting the engine back together. | | |
| |
| |