The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, TUTS 59, 55shaker, MikeStone1953, Wally / Montana), 138 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92811 08/28/2005 11:16 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
Here is the new wiring diagram I made up for my '48.

48 wiring

I am running a one wire alternator and HEI setup so there is no regulator or coil shown.

Just thought I'd share it with the rest of you.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
#92812 08/28/2005 11:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Nice work Inky. What did you use to create the diagram?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#92813 08/28/2005 11:43 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I drew it in AutoCad and converted it to both JPG and PNG formats so I could post it. I posted the PNG because it is a little better quality.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
#92814 11/10/2005 8:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
Thanks for the diagram!
Where did you get the HEI distributer? Did that help the truck run over 45mph


You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
#92815 11/10/2005 10:23 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
HEI from 82 chevy 250. Not for increase in speed... just reliability.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
#92816 11/17/2005 12:29 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
Excuse my ignorance. What is an HEI.
I just bought a 1953 Chevy 3100 with a 235 inline that came out of a 1958. I'm just curious though there is soooo much I need to do before I even get to the wiring.

#92817 11/17/2005 1:13 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mario23,

HEI is an acronym for High Energy Ignition. It is a solid state, or breakerless distributor.


Stuart

#92818 11/17/2005 2:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
Ok thanks. So what I have to figure out is if I already have this thing already under my hood being that its a 58 235 engine...
I'm learning. Believe me, I've learned alot in the past few days with much more to go...

#92819 11/18/2005 10:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
OK Ink05, I ran wires from the two tail lights up to the cab. One side went to the Brake sw and the other went to the fuze box to the tail light fuze. When I bulled the lights on the running lights worked, but I could not get the brake lights to work. I had power up to the NEW BRAKE switch but when I had the pedel pushed down the switch would not make the connection to the other wire. I purchased a New brake sw to avoid this problem:( I did use the old connector to attach the new wire to the sw.
I am using a light prob to check for power.

What Now???
I do have power to one side of the Brake sw but I am not having any luck wiht the brake sw. Oh ya, Now my dam truck wont start. I put the battery charger on it for a few days to make sure I have a good charge.


You thought I drove a Ford! Where is my cresent wrench, I would like to adjust your thought pattern.
#92820 11/19/2005 12:19 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mario23,

A GM HEI cap is just a little smaller than the Hindenburg...easy to identify.

N D Loadmaster,

Use your probe and work backwards from the SUPPLY side of the brake switch, you said you know you have power there, check it again. Then probe the other side of the switch..manipulate the switch until you get power there. Go to the back of the truck and poke the wire with the probe..it should be hot. You should be able to get to the tail light and still have power.

If you have power all the way to the socket, and still no brake light...check, replace or wiggle the bulb. That lamp is the stop/tail combo so it goes in only one way. If this is all perfect, and still no light, you need to investigate the ground. Nothing works without a ground.

Using the probe, start at the known source of power and work toward the problem. You will come to a point in system where power is no longer present....you found the problem! Have your wife, girlfriend, neighbor or child help you. They can push a brake pedal or watch a light.

Don't think because the brake switch is NEW that it works...PROVE it works with a meter or your probe. Your brake arm must go down far enough to make the brake switch close.


Stuart


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0