The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Tiny, 2 invisible), 100 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Thinking about the CPP 6 lug complete front brake kit for better stopping power. I want to use a frame mount brake booster, but CPP says it MAY require a transmission mount. Do I need it?
I have 15" wheels, will they work or not? What about a spacer that i've heard about? Is that safe and does it work?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I have installed the items you mention. Works well, normal labor required. My 15" wheels did work. Some may not, they caution you on that. I think I did a little grinding on calipers. "CPP says it MAY require a transmission mount" What is it? The booster does not need that and the discs don't need that? Are you saying you may need a different trans mount?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
The CPP parts list page has near the bottom of the description" frame mount brake boosters may require #CP9424 transmission mount. That is the only place I saw a transmission mount mentioned in all the looking I have done online.
Sounds like you didn't need a different trans. mount? Good to know. Since your 15" wheels worked I assume you didn't need to use a spacer.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
If you are still stock, the trans did not have a support, per se. The trannys were cantilevered off the Bell Housing. The rear of the engine/bell housing was supported on a "rear engine" support member. (These bell housings are called "truck bell housings"). This cross-over member may, or may not, still be bolted on. You will see the big riveted mounting brackets still there probably. At any rate, if you/PO have not put in a tranny cross member in the area of the old MC or it's mounting box, you will not have any trouble with the kit. This whole thing is predicated upon what you have down under there. Stock or modified? what engine and tranny mounting? If you study the CPP tech info area where they have pics of the install, you will see where the new MC fits. Several Magazines have install pics online for these kits also. I do not use spacers on wheels.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0