The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (carbking, CandoBrent, 2 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
I got my ol' 41' runnin' now but I went and changed everything to 12 volt and I just don't think my old generator is keeping up. I wonder if anyone out there knows a good little alternator that will fit in there nicely and what it came off?


It's amazing what you won't find, if you don't look for it, especialy if it's not there.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
A Delco 10SI or 12SI seems to be the choice out there. Mainly because they are low cost, easy to work on,and parts are available for them.

There are some smaller alt. out there which come off of later model cars.
They're cute but coat more.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 95
Why do you think your Gen. is not keeping up?

What is the condition of the system (generator, regulator, wiring/connections)?

If your truck is mostly original and does not have a lot of electric accessories, the Generator will work great.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
When I got the newer motor from an ol guy that had just rebuilt it it didn't come with the generator, I had an old generator from an old truck I had before, and just put it on. It's funny because the truck will run just fine on a dead battery, but it doesn't seem to charge the battery as I go, it might be something with the regulator maybe, but it is brand new I'm just kind of stumpt a little bit. I think I might have to run by one of those generator shop and just have it checked by someone that is a little more certified than me electrical stuff is not my strong point. I just kind of thought an alternator might be a steadfast way to go. I don't have any other electrical accessory s it's just bare and stock as far as electrical stuff goes. But since I've switched over to 12volt I have to replace the heater motors over to 12 volt. That's about all I can say about that.


It's amazing what you won't find, if you don't look for it, especialy if it's not there.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
What does the delco come off of?


It's amazing what you won't find, if you don't look for it, especialy if it's not there.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
brother, you've got the right idea re getting the setup checked by a competent shop, and if you're having trouble figuring out the stock setup, an alternator won't be any easier - a Delco 10 or 12 is the standard GM alternator used on most things, from early to current, but your main problem [aside from how to hook it up] will be the mount and adjuster arm, they weren't on anything as early as the 235 .... if the shop can't get the generator setup going, they might have some advice for an alternator setup, and you might find some helpful info at Mad Electric

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
Have you tried"flashing" the regulator,which fields the generator to the correct polarity.


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Yes http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml has some great info on the alternator. The only discrepancy i have found is when he talks about the one wire system does not have the capability to have a tattle tell light to notify you that the alternator stop working. I found that ron francis does sell a thing that will make your one wire system tattle tell when there is a problem with the charging system like a broken belt.

You have the right idea have a professional check it out if your not sure. I would still change it out to the alternator but to each is their own.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by TinyJaime
I found that ron francis does sell a thing that will make your one wire system tattle tell when there is a problem with the charging system like a broken belt.
can you link that item?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

On my 12v-conversion one-wire alternator 54 truck, I can easily tell when the alternator is not charging. The original ammeter tells me.

There is no need for a "tattle tell" indicator light ("boob light"), unless you "modernize" you dash/gauges. If you have no ammeter/voltmeter, an alternator-working indicator light would be nice.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400

Does the 58 have the light or the guage?


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
brotherwarrior is talking about a 1941 truck, it's not likely he has or wants an idiot light, which didn't appear as a replacement for the ammeter until the 60's - as Tim points out, any vehicle with an ammeter [or volt meter] doesn't need a light

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
It helps if I read thru the whole thread, I was going by the title of the thread.


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Whether you dealing with a 1958 truck (here's a 59) or you are dealing with a 1941 truck (here is a 42), if you have your original gauges, you have an ammeter.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0