The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, walter74, tclederman), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
I'm am preparing to replace the plywood floor on the 49 Suburban.

Any advice on how to best remove it before I proceed?

I am not planning to save the bolts and I am thinking about grinding the bolt heads off from the top.

Jut got back from being away on travel status and now rolling up my sleeves to do this on Saturday.


Suggestions? Advice?

Thank you. Tom


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
I thought you were going to ask why I am up at 1:54 AM ET thinking about a suburban plywood floor (?). Thanks for the Tech Tip and bee-lining me to it! tom


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Another method to remove the floorboard AND be able to put a one-piece floorboard back in place is not mentioned in that excellent Tech Tip.

After removing all the bolts from the side-perimeter metal flanges, one of the metal flanges has to be removed. This not only allows the whole floorboard to be removed, but, more importantly, it allows a one-piece floorboard to be installed.

The side-perimeter metal flanges are each attached by more than 20 spot-welds (as I recall - I counted them once). Those spot-welds have to be drilled-out from one of the flanges, and then that metal flange can be removed.

Then, the floorboard can be angled-upward and be removed from the top (or, maybe from the bottom, but that would be interesting to accomplish). I do not know if the rear cross-sill has to be removed in order to get the sheet in or out of the rear door opening.

I have only seen one person report using this technique (no photos were provided). I have not seen any other technique that allows a single-piece floorboard to be removed/installed.

A wide piece of plywood is needed, if you want to replace the floor as a single piece. Supposedly, some boat repair facilities will have available a piece of appropriate thickness plywood in a large enough width (at least 54" wide, as I dimly recall).


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0