The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Hanlon, Bogart's Truck, TexasA&M48Truck, Donf, 2 invisible), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#922248 02/23/2013 12:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
I'm getting ready to put the new pistons in my 216 and started by checking the rings in the bore. According to the shop manual, the end gap should be .005 to .015 but I'm finding them to be in the .017 - .018 range. The paper that came with the rings says the end gap should be .003 - .004 per inch of cylinder diameter. The 216 has a 3-1/2" bore standard (mine's .030 over) so, according to the sheet, the gap should be about .010 - .014.

Also, I was checking the ring clearances in the grooves. For the compression rings, the manual says a .0015 feeler gauge should fit freely and a .003 feeler gauge should have a "rather heavy drag." I have the heavy drag with the .0015 feeler gauge in both grooves.

I know the manual was written 60 years ago when they were using cast iron pistons. I'm replacing them with aluminum pistons so I'm not sure if some of the measurements have changed with the updated technology.

Has anyone come accross this issue and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,
Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Are your rings good for your .030" cylinders? I don't know about the ring land clearance but your gaps sound pretty close to me.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
They're supposed to be .030 oversize rings. The box has 030 at the end of the part number so I'm thinking they should be the right ones. Of course it's always possible a package can be mislabled. Thanks Truckernix.


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
.012 would be the minimum spec or as little a gap as you could/should have. The .0015 grove would again be a miminum spec. You are good in my opinion.


1953 Chevy 3100
261 and SM420
53Chevy 3100
1953 Mack Firetruck
1972 Porsche 911
1986 Honda Goldwing
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 233
.012 would be the minimum spec or as little a gap as you could/should have. The .0015 grove would again be a miminum spec. You are good in my opinion.


1953 Chevy 3100
261 and SM420
53Chevy 3100
1953 Mack Firetruck
1972 Porsche 911
1986 Honda Goldwing
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Did you bore it .030 or was it already bored and you are re-ringing it? If it was already bored before, I would not use anything but cast iron rings. Did you measure the gap at various points. You could get different gaps if you have taper. But here again it depends on if you have a fresh bore. Since aluminum expands more than cast iron, I think you should have a little more clearance in the groves to keep the rings from sticking when the engine is hot.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Sorry guys. Lots going on the rest of the weekend so I haven't been close to a computer for a while. The engine's freshly bored. Thanks, Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0