The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Since I'm rebuiling my new front end, what's the advantage of replacing the original ball front wheel bearings with roller bearings. Is it worth it?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 140
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 140
Tapered roller bearings resist side loads (e.g. cornering) better than ball bearings. For similar sizes, they also handle weight better.

Is it worth converting? I dunno, how much work is it? Roller bearings would last longer....

Cheers!
George

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I don't have a problem with ball bearings and radials. They withstand side impact fine, it the sharp impact of hitting a pothole that they don't like. My BMW has ball bearings, they lasted more than 150k miles. You can buy two sets of balls for the cost of a conversion kit, which will last about as long as two sets of balls.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Who needs two sets of balls :confused: grin
Tapered rollers are nice but I do not think the cost parts and money, is really worth it. i have seen many tapered roller bearing that have failed after a short time.
PREVENTIVE maintenance is what keeps these trucks on the road and they are made to be serviced cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Napa is selling ball bearing sets with races at such a good price, I'll go that direction, especially since I'm not using radials.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 158
F
knuckle head
knuckle head
F Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 158
Why do you think roller bearings are necessary with radials? The rear axle on many older vehicles use roller bearings,are they a problem also? My truck has ball bearings and radial tires, no problems for 10 years.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0