| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,303 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 | Hey Guys...
My 1965 C30 truck has a 1977 292 that was bought new from GM. The original owner took all of the parts off his 230 and put it on the 292 when he installed it back in 77.
The 230 harmonic balancer is excessively small. I just bought the proper 1977 balancer from AutoZone, but noticed the groves for the fan belt are different. They are further out from the engine.
I have the correct alternator brackets from another 292 to adjust the alternator to match the distance of the balancer from the engine. What do I do to get the water pump pulley to match?
1960 Chevy Apache (C10) 1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck 1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | The water pump is different, I assume its the length of the shaft.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | I've read of, and have had a problem with replacing the alternator on the 292. The alternator pulley on a 292 is particular to the 292. The alternator went out on my 292. I grabbed another alternator lying around the shop, looked the same. Installed the spare alt, didn't line up, didn't see the problem. Went to the FLAPS and bought a rebuilt for a 292, didn't line up. Finally took a close look and replaced the pulley, problem solved. the alignment is of by 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I would think that with the 230 parts on the front of the 292 there shouldn't be a problem, but,,, you changed the harmonic balancer to a 292. Now you need the Alt pulley, and water pump pulley. My best guess. :^)
larry
Last edited by LGriffin; 02/24/2013 9:08 PM. Reason: second thoughts
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | I reread the bit about water pumps, the low deck engines 230.250 will swap to a tall deck 292. but the 292 will not work on the low deck engines. Why I don't know, length of shaft, impeller size, hose outlets.........
Joe | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 | Thanks eveyone. Looks like I will have to take the front end apart and really look at the differences. I think I might have a water pump from a 292, so I can check the shaft lenght. I looked at the pulley from the 292 and it looks different from the 230, but it does not seem to have a different inset for the shaft.
Any more comments are welcome...
1960 Chevy Apache (C10) 1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck 1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck | | |
| |
| |