The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (wilbur53, 2 invisible), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#921967 02/22/2013 11:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
I am converting my '66 from a manual transmission to an automatic. Has anyone who has done this conversion found a good way to plug up the hole in the firewall for the clutch rod? I know I could just put in the clutch boot and seal up the little hole but I was wordering if there is a better way. Perhaps someone found a grommet that fits? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
NAPA will usually have a variety box of rubber grommets that includes some without holes [plugs], might check that - also, electrical parts suppliers have various size metal plugs for junction boxes that might work .... be creative

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I made a plate using sheetmetal and attached with two screws. OE automagic trucks had either a plate or an oblong plastic plug.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
I'll take a look at the grommets at NAPA but unfortunately the hole was not simply punched out but has a 1/8" or so rolled edge for the boot installation which means most gromments I have won't work.
OE automagic I am unfamiliar with . . .

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
frostplug?
ron

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by padresag
frostplug?
ron


Now there's an idea. I'll have to see if I can find one large enough.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 434
MIG welder....


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The factory plug is:

Caplugs #B-385

We have a few good, used ones, if you are looking for a factory-correct solution, to remedy the issue.

Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 02/27/2013 2:03 PM.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0