The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
I am swapping 4.11 for 3.55 ring and pinion on 1948 1/2 ton.I need some shim help the original shims where .033 any idea where to start the new shims at.Thanks

Last edited by oldchevyguy; 02/19/2013 5:55 PM.
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 35
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 35
If the old pinion had a depth marked on the head (the new one should) you can figure the difference. Most old pinions have a deviation from the standard depth. Like +.003 would 3/1000" deeper then the standard for that axle. I don't know what that standard is but I might have it at home. I'll check.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

From whom did you buy the R&P set?
Did instructions come with it?

If no instructions came with the gear-set, 0.033 seems like a good "starting point".

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
I bought the R&P from Patricks he said start at .029.I shimmed and painted it, was running on the inner third of the ring gear but i was turning ring gear not the driveshaft.I took it apart to reshim it,i never tested it turning the driveshaft so i never got good reading.New pinion head know number, old pinion head know numbers with desmal number.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Call Patricks and talk to him. He has a fixed number of additional shim from stock. I can't remember what it is. That would be your starting point.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Go down to page 12. If your contact is centered between the face and flank then your probably okay.
Its better to have it towards the center line of ring gear a bit, in forward drive, hold the ring gear and turn the pinion for forward to get pattern.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/H.../Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Last edited by Truckrolet; 02/21/2013 5:38 AM.

Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
SWEET,

Are you doing a Tech Tip write-up on this?

Does Patrick still provide his installation instructions?

Those instructions were pretty good (I have installed two of his 3.55 sets). However, the copies of photos were poor, and a few instructions were very not clear.

I dimly recall Patrick's instructions including patterns/instructions for the using the red-lead (we used Prussian-blue) (Adjustment - 2). Patrick instructions here were OK. The Adjustment steps 1-14 in the Shop Manual might seem tedious and/or complicated, but they are necessary and should be carefully executed.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I am in the process of writing this swap as a step by step for our technical pages here, but it is in the beginning stages.

I recall talking to Patricks and said that a total shim depth of either .028 or so was a great starting point. Given that oldchevy's shims are already greater, I think he is best suited talking to Patrick directly. He surely has installed way more sets than I have!!!


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

SWEET,

We followed Patrick's hard-copy instructions. Patrick's first-try suggestion for shims worked on one job; and, a second try was needed for the other job.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I too have been lucky in the 4-5 sets that I have done, I have only had to add shims once.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,300
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,300
Patrick's instructions say that "The installations that we have done here so far have fallen into the .026 to .028 category. That can be acheived by simply adding the .010 in the kit to the .016-.018 you removed during disassembly"


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0