The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, NJC, Hotrod Lincoln), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#915114 01/27/2013 4:42 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
I was replacing the throwout bearing on my clutch and when I had the driveshaft off my buddy noticed that the front u joint felt a little 'lumpy". Upon further inspection we noticed two little nylon inserts holding in the cup. When I was looking at the shop manual I did not notice these inserts. He remembered ujoints on 70's and 80's trucks having these, but not 50's. And he recalled they were a pain to work. Do any of you recognize these? I ordered a replacement ujoint from Jim Carter but if a PO replaced these ujoints with non-original/stock will my new ujoints fit? I am not sure how to attach pics or I would. The inserts (I scraped one with a screwdriver and it was red) show up a little dots on the joint.

Second question is that we also noticed the the joint sleeve yoke (fitting into tranny) had been epoxied or something by a PO. I'd like to find a replacement yoke but they are tough to track down. Does anybody have any clues where I might track one down?

Thanks again to everybody for helping.



1956 Apache
1959 Apache
1966 DeVille
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
how they came from the factory isn't how replacements have evolved to be - likely they've been replaced in the past, probably could get new ones at NAPA .... for the yoke w/ slip sleeve you'll probably have to find used to get the coarse spline, but you might check NAPA, they're the same to about 67/8

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
Thanks Bill, I will check NAPA for the yoke.


1956 Apache
1959 Apache
1966 DeVille

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0