The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, 50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91474 03/22/2004 12:02 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
I looked today to see for sure. Key on, key off, tank full, tank empty, the gauge shows empty. Where do I start. I've been told I will need a runtz in the system. Will I need a new gauge first, or what? Any lines of what to try A, B, C, D? Where do I get the runtz when I need it?

Thanks in advance to the helpful ones who will weigh in.

#91475 03/22/2004 12:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jake,

Search in this forum (upper right, under Post Reply and Post New Topic) for "gas gauge" and then "fuel gauge". There are a lot of good advice and diagnostic procedures in old posts.

First you should check the gauge enclosure ground. If the enclosure and gauge are well-grounded, a working gauge should show a non-empty reading (unless your gas tank is empty).

The following things need to be tested (a search will give explanations on how to test) and I would test them in this order:

1. Poorly grounded gauge enclosure. If the gauge is good and the ground is good, the gauge should read correctly or it will spike to full. If it spikes to full, then test for the following.
2. Poorly grounded sender unit in the gas tank.
3. Bad sender lead.
4. Bad sender unit.
5. Poor ground between gauge and enclosure.
6. Bad gauge

Make sure the power lead to the gauge is good.

Of course, if you have a 12 volt system that never used a resistor (Runtz or otherwise), your gauge might be fried.

Tim

#91476 03/22/2004 6:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you are talking about a stock AD truck, your gas gauge is a small ammeter. What that means is that the sender in your tank is a varaible resistor that determines how much current flow there will be and thus how much your gauge will register. If you jumper the tank sender to ground at the tank, your gauge should read full. The gauge wiring is not fused or protected in any fashion so it is not a fuse problem or circuit breaker problem.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0