| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,483 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#91390 02/29/2004 5:46 PM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 | I've found several threads about the 12 volt convertion but not much on recommendations for alternators. My setup will be using an HEI ignition and electric wipers, but no gorilla boom boxes, etc. What brand and model number of alternator are most of you guys installing?
Also, what is your recommendation for plug wires with the HEI?
I'm assuming 100 amps will provide a lot of headroom. Thanks in advance. | | |
#91391 02/29/2004 5:52 PM | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 264 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 264 | 100 A is more than plenty for what you describe...maybe 60-70 will be better and certainly cheaper and more readily available. I'd go with the 3-wire alternator, running the "sensor" wire to a "central" location in your wiring system where everything gets its voltage from. I use a voltmeter (measuring the "central" voltage) and I also hooked up an LED alternator light in my customized instrument cluster.
You can do a search on the one-wire vs three-wire issue, lots of good articles. | | |
| |
| |