The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, 32Fordpuchoptop, FAST55, walter74), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,319
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 96
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 96
Any of you folk know an easy way or the best way to install lug studs in the front drums/hubs?

Last edited by Mr Crosswrench; 01/19/2013 7:59 PM.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I'm not familiar with the '42. However, typical installation would be to use a press to push it in. If you don't have a press, a drift and a hammer does the trick. I have found that, more times than not, using an impact gun and lug nut to draw it in usually breaks the stud if it doesn't stretch it.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Wheel stud installer. This one does use the nut and an impact to draw the stud into the hub/alxe flange, there's a bearing in it that allos the nut to spin freely. I've installed plenty of stud using this tool, and have never broken a stud using it.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 96
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 96
Thanks for the tips. no press available so I'll try the wheel stud installer

Last edited by Mr Crosswrench; 01/20/2013 7:25 AM.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by LONGBOX55
I've installed plenty of stud using this tool, and have never broken a stud using it.

Then again, come to think of it, the ones I've broken have been the big ol' Budd studs using a 1" gun.

If you do use the drift and hammer method, you'll know it is seated when the tone of the hitting sound changes.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0