The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Jay R, 52Carl, Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, 78buckshot), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Have a rebuild kit from Novak. I pressed out the old countershaft front bearing and the one in the kit is way loose. I did not need to press it in and I can move it freehand

Is this normal?

I have to doubt it

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Sent the PM BS.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
There were two different countershaft bearing sizes, the smaller being the most common. it should be a snug fit. You will just need to get the numbers off the old bearing and get one that way.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
The kit comes with two and the smaller (2412) one is enclosed on one end and would never fit.

the larger bearing in the kit is snug -

I see that the larger one comes as a 1206 or 2414

The one I took out was 1206 - as is the one Novak sent.

I will use loctite bearing as the previous post noted.

Last edited by BSCowboy; 01/19/2013 10:53 AM.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
What is odd is that the kit came with

(2) Countershaft Front bearings (2412 and 1206)
1 Countershaft Rear

and three others 6307, 6209 and 6208 - for 2 spots

I may be a bit slow on the take, but I find a parts list, or better instructions would have been helpful from Novak. The OLD CHEVY Manual is 10 times better

It wil be trial and error on those three bearings on the main shaft

Last edited by BSCowboy; 01/19/2013 10:57 AM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Don't get confused by the extra parts. The same kit is made up
to encompass all of the models. You will have some left over
parts. It's still better than having to chase down all of the
parts separatly on your own.
All you have to do is match up the old bearings with ones that
come in the kit from Novak.
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/19/2013 1:30 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Looks like the only part I am missing from my "transmission in a bucket" is the Oil Deflecter for the rear countershaft bearing.

I found one at Collectors Auto Supply fo $10.

Once I get a spanner wrench ( i think it is 1 1/2 inch) I should be cookin with gas


Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Or, you can make one as I did using a piece of heavy wall
tubing, some 1/2" rod and a couple of dowl pins.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/137529461
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Clearly Denny knows the concept when they say "Necessity is the mother of invention".


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Only wish I had an "inventors" mind Dave. My bathroom reader for
this month is a book by Ronald Clark titled "EDISON, the man
who made the future." Now there was was one inventive individual.

Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Well Thomas Edison was a regular user of Vin Mariani and of course he did not have 300 channels of TV to distract him.

We all have Edison potential - we just opt not to indulge in cociane and alcohol, instead we watch Dancing with the stars and Nascar

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
So that spanner nut is on there with some force. I know it is left hand threads - but boy it is tough to crack.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, that's why the 1/2" levers are on the one I made, came
right off with the spanner I have pictured.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I used some 1/4 inch steel and drilled a 1 3/8 hole in the middle, tapped in two 1/4 inch steel bolts on each side.

But just bending the bolts - I had SS bolts and will now try hardened steel.

I also went to a local Drivetrain shop and transmission shop - both did not want to try and get it off - afraid of screwin it up.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
So that did it - a knuckle buster- - no off the shelf Spanner wrench was gonna get that off.

I am thinking of using some loctite on that nut when I put it back together.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Then you'll have one heck of a time getting it off the next
time. No need for Loctite just snug it up as tight as you can
get it with your spanner.
Oh and by the way, that was why I used the dowel pins.

Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Anyone have a pic on how the rear oil seal is on the sm420?

I scanned denny's site but did not see the seal

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
is that seal only used in NON-Torque Tube applications??

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I believe you have a '53, 3100? There is no rear seal in the SM420.
Check you fluid level in the trans several times once you start
driving it till it stabilizes.

Denny G.

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/23/2013 7:33 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I see part 48 in the exploded view here

sm420 View - 1954

Yes I have a 53 so maybe this does not apply

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That is only used on open drive shaft transmissions.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0