Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | My '59 panel needs a gas tank. Can't find one anywhere. Has anyone substituted tank from another vehicle?
Last edited by arturo7; 01/18/2013 7:04 PM.
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | I went looking for a replacement for my 55nd and couldn't find one. If you come across a source let us know! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | Larry, from what I can tell they are just not available. I started this thread hoping someone had already ran into this problem and found a substitute.
If all else fails, I guess I'll fabricate something.
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 | I know it's not a 59 but, I modified a 71-73 Mustang tank to mount at the rear of my 52 panel. I needed 20 gallons capacity and a shape that was a good fit for the rear of the panel (where the spare tire would go. Had to weld up the original filler hole & moved the filler so it would be accessible through the floor in a recessed housing that's vented at the right rear of the cargo area.
I don't know if you wish to change the location, but I can tell you the tank fit perfectly and only needed to extend the Ford holding straps slightly to attach it securely. If your rear frame dimensions are similar .... it might work for your TF truck, too. Cost from a discount place online was about $110-120 plus some filler bits I got off of eBay .... whole job was under $140.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | Thanks, Squire.
Two questions, does this mod leave enough space for a trailer hitch, and what did you do with the spare?
thanks
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Many have had this trouble. Filling thru the inside of a vehicle is not my idea of a good solution. Filling an aftermarket rear tank from outside is OK (rear wheel well or new body hole). I have thought many times about all this. Someone could stamp these tanks in identical halves (almost) and join them. The tank is made like the truck tank. I have often wondered if a 55-59 truck tank ($140), could physically fit under there. If so, modifying the filler and sensor hole would be cake. Modifying a new tank, that will fit in stock location, would be easy and totally safe. Also the various tanks for Fords, 32-40 approx look interesting. I have also looked a big truck (18 wheeler type) round aluminum tanks for mounting in original location. I say all this to maybe spark an idea in someone, it's called brainstorming. For the aftermarket rear tank, spare can be stood upright and mounted to the side or mounted flat with a nice cover on it.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I've been told there's a tank from something like a Blazer, or maybe a Cherokee, that mounts in a similar location and has a similar filler that could be adapted .... I'd say if you've got an original tank, no matter how rough, it can be rebuilt, the shape and size is very specific to the location on these trucks, not much room to fiddle, the pickup tank wouldn't fit .... I happen to have a decent spare, but can't imagine what an expense and hassle it would be to ship it
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 | Thanks, Squire.
Two questions, does this mod leave enough space for a trailer hitch, and what did you do with the spare?
thanks I am adapting a Curt or a Reese truck hitch ... Have made measurements and there's plenty of room for a Class lll hitch. As for the spare ...... It goes inside...! Thinking of fabbing up a mount over and behind the driver's side rear wheel to get it off the floor. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | Red, I had an estimate of $500 to fix the original. This is on top of a $150 inspection fee to see if the fix is possible. For that much I can have something custom made out of aluminum.
I'm wondering if a mid-60's Suburban might work? Or, like you said, a Blazer tank.
It won't work to keep the spare inside. I'll be using every bit of cargo space from time to time.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Always open for more...
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | If you don't want original fitting tank, then there are lots of options for up and under between the rails. There will be no room for the spare. If you don't want it inside, that leaves the rear (swing away rear tire carrier), the top (Safari Style) or the front (Beyond Thunderdome Style).... and, of course, hardcore style (a can of stop leak/inflator). Several of these choices may be illegal in your state.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 |
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 83 | Why won't a tank made to fit between the frame rails behind the axel(close to the bumper) for 55/59 trucks work? I realize a filler tube will have to be fabricated....a new through the body filler door... Late 70s dodge trucks had a nice plastic fuel tank, it as narrow, fit inside the frame rails...
1999 GMC Yukon 1957 GMC 100 Panel
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | I have been told, (I haven't tried it,) that an '80s p/u tank can be modified fairly easily to fit. If I hadn't found one for my '56, I would have tried it, though!
best wishes,
Les
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 | I guess if we all spent more $ getting the repop stuff, someone would get on the ball and start making them. Maybe everyone needs to write a letter to counter part or who ever repops gas tanks.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the people that repro originals, Counter Parts is a distributor Bill | | |
| |