The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#912503 01/17/2013 2:19 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
My 56 3600 has the parking brake on the drive shaft. The pads on the drum are completely worn out making the brake basically non functioning.

I've looked in my parts catalog and no one seems to offer parts for this set up. Is it after market? dopes anyone know where to get parts?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy shoedog81, you should be able to send it to a good brake shoe rebuilder and have it relined. Try looking on Google for a friction material supplier, or contact your favorite F.L.A.P.S. and ask them where they would send it for relining, hope that helps.

Last edited by 3B; 01/20/2013 10:23 AM.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
There is a place in Spokane that does it. Pacific is the name I think, Vary reasonable.




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
Got mine relined at local FLAPS. KOI Auto Parts

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I wonder how that brake gets worn out? Do you think the previous owner used it to stop?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks for asking that question, truckernix.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Driving while forgetting to release?

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
That's what I'm thinking. It is worn down all the way to the metal in some spots, I'll post some pics up in a bit.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
Mechanism

what's left of the Pad material

I found a local shop to reline the friction material. They asked me what thickness the material should be. I told them 1/4 inch but I really have no idea. Anyone know what the factory thickness was?

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 35
Service manual says friction material is 2.25 by .25. Had the shop reline to those specs and it's too thick. Can't even get the brake band on the drum.

$70 down the drain

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I doubt that the brake was worn out by using it to stop the vehicle with because they were about as effective as dragging your feet. My guess was that someone forgot to release it and drove it until smoke came up through the floor board. That happened quite often.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0