| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (55shaker, Woodcmiami, Rusted Nut, Gdads51, CuzzFuzz, Still At It, 1 invisible),
156
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,138 Posts1,056,441 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 | My 56 3600 has the parking brake on the drive shaft. The pads on the drum are completely worn out making the brake basically non functioning.
I've looked in my parts catalog and no one seems to offer parts for this set up. Is it after market? dopes anyone know where to get parts? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy shoedog81, you should be able to send it to a good brake shoe rebuilder and have it relined. Try looking on Google for a friction material supplier, or contact your favorite F.L.A.P.S. and ask them where they would send it for relining, hope that helps.
Last edited by 3B; 01/20/2013 10:23 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 323 | There is a place in Spokane that does it. Pacific is the name I think, Vary reasonable.
These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.
1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel 1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 166 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 166 | Got mine relined at local FLAPS. KOI Auto Parts | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I wonder how that brake gets worn out? Do you think the previous owner used it to stop? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Thanks for asking that question, truckernix.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Driving while forgetting to release? | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 | That's what I'm thinking. It is worn down all the way to the metal in some spots, I'll post some pics up in a bit. | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 | Mechanism what's left of the Pad material I found a local shop to reline the friction material. They asked me what thickness the material should be. I told them 1/4 inch but I really have no idea. Anyone know what the factory thickness was? | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 35 | Service manual says friction material is 2.25 by .25. Had the shop reline to those specs and it's too thick. Can't even get the brake band on the drum.
$70 down the drain | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I doubt that the brake was worn out by using it to stop the vehicle with because they were about as effective as dragging your feet. My guess was that someone forgot to release it and drove it until smoke came up through the floor board. That happened quite often. | | |
| |
| |