Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 | I'm hoping I don't get to much flack for this but has anyone ever put a ford ranger suspension under a 54 Chevy? This will be my first project ever and I'm excited to get started on it.... I was thinking about the s10 suspension like a lot of people do but I have a friend that has an abundance of ranger chunks at his finger tips. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | It depends what year of Ranger. The S-10 is definitely easier, and the ealier rangers had a terrible twin I-beam front suspension. You would need to confirm the track width and wheelbase too, but it's not a swap I would attempt, since you won't have the experience of others to rely on if you get stuck, since it's uncommon to put a ranger under a AD truck. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 | I've read that s-10 swap would be the easiest In a couple places. I plan to use the original frame and the suspensions from the ranger should I choose to go that route are from 2001-11. I'm by no means experienced in rebuilds but I'm fairy good at collective learning and decent with working in stuff, i do have two guys that are going to help anytime I need it, one works in a body shop ( the one that has the ranger suspensions and suggested maybe using them) and the other is a welder. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | There is nothing wrong with the stock suspension. The fact that many people who have never driven one tell you "That's how 'they' do these old trucks", is no reason to get out the cutting torch. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 | My dad just told me he had a few of those old trucks back in the day but he doesn't remember the stock suspension being that bad. I don't figure it will ride like my new truck cause its like riding on a cloud. Does anyone know of a place that sells bag suspension for the original frame set up? My dad also grumbled a little under his breath at the mention of this but its something I've always wanted to do with a truck and I love classics so why not kill two birds with one stone!  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Your dad sounds like a wise man.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 269 | Boss, If you have something that is complete and just needs some luving.... If you have something that is far gone, then do some research and then consider your options. My two pennies, Bread Ride Tech / air over leaf Total Cost Involved. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 | Dittos on Dad's wisdom! With so many options on updating your stock frame and suspension out there .... you really need to explore those before getting into a major chassis fabrication nightmare .... My 2 Cents! Your dad sounds like a wise man. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Don't get convinced to keep it stock or use the original suspension if what you want is something different. You'll forever be disappointed. Yes, there's nothing wrong with the stock suspension, but I love vehicles that handle awesome and I can get parts for anywhere if I'm stranded on the road, which is why I went the route I did. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 | Thanks I had no idea the made kits for leaf springs suspension! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 89 | I'm definitely keeping my options open at this point. I wouldn't mind really putting a newer suspension under it and having it bagged to wear it will lay out! It's a headache trying to decide what suspension though. I would love to one day be able to take it to a local show and enter it in so I know I want anything I do to look great no matter which route. | | |
| |