No stamped number in that area could mean that you have a regular Pontiac engine instead of a GMC engine.
Let me throw out a couple of theories, you do some research on some web pages I will suggest and any of your own, and then you decide.
First, I believe your block casting number is 523293. What you think is an "8" is really a "9". This would mean that you may have a 57' 347 car engine. Please examine it closely again.
Second, I believe the "C757H 14287" number on the front of your block supports the "347" car engine theory.
Using info from the "1955-60 Pontiac Engine Component Interchange and Identification" pages bookmarked below, the number represents a serial number that would have been found on a tag inside the driver's door jamb and stamped on the front of the engine.
It decodes as
C = South Gate, CA, place where car was assembled.
7 = 27 Series car, 122 in wheel base (all Chieftains, Superchiefs and Safaris)
57 = model year of vehicle
14287 = serial number of car as it came off assembly line
I believe a 57' model year would indicate a 347 motor.
Please look at this info below closely. I trust others will
offer better info if they have it.
http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garage/EngineID/index.htmlhttp://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1EarlyV8Pontiacs/IdentificationTags/index.html