The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (mick53, Wally / Montana, Peggy M, stlcardinalsguy, Gray_Ghost), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
Hello all.

I'm working on the interior of my 50 Chevy, and can't seem to get the seat to go back. I'm moving the lever, and it will somewhat move forward, but not back.

I've sprayed some oil up on the tracks as best I can.

Is there a trick I'm missing? Thanks! Dickson


1950 Chevy 3100 short bed
1951 GMC 3/4 ton long bed
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Do you know if the adjusters use a cable with only the drivers side rail locking everything in place, or if each rail locks into place?


Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
There are two cables that run at the rear of the seat bottom to the passenger side too, so maybe the passenger rails lock as well?

But I don't see the cables move at all when I pull the seat lever (on the driver's side). That's all you're supposed to need to do to move the seat, correct? THANKS



1950 Chevy 3100 short bed
1951 GMC 3/4 ton long bed
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Did you pull the seat cushion out? Inside you will see all the moving parts. There is a mechanism on both sides to lock into a detent, otherwise the seat would move on one end .


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
If you have two cables going along the back of the seat, then only the drivers side adjuster locks. The cables lock the passenger side of the seat in when the drivers side is locked.

There are four pulleys under the seat, two per each side. These could be froze up from rust over the years.

I had to remove the seat along with the rails to get to everything to free it all up and install a new cable. And it is one cable running as a loop.

If both side have a locking rail, there will be a small metal rod that goes across from one rail to the other to unlock the other rail. Does not sound like the system you have. But even that could be froze u from rust. About the only way to get to the little glides and wheels is to remove the seat and turn it over so you can get to everything with either system.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 62
After recovering the seats and reinstalling on Sunday morning, I was able to get enough full body interia going that I got the seat back.

Still, there seems to be a lot of space left behind the seat, and it would be nice if it would retract further. Oh well!


1950 Chevy 3100 short bed
1951 GMC 3/4 ton long bed

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0