The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90889 02/28/2004 12:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I finally got around to installing the runtz regulator on my gas gauge and hooking it back up. It works fine and is pretty accurate, but it bounces up and down every time I hit a bump. I don't think the sending unit has dead spots, I think the response of the gauge is too fast. Is there a way to dampen it? Should I add a capacitor between the sending unit and ground, or should there be some dampening built into the gauge?

The gauge and tank are stock 1950 units and I have a new wiring harness. It did the same thing on 6 volts.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#90890 02/28/2004 2:24 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
I have the same problem. It is accurate, but bounces or flickers.

#90891 02/28/2004 2:39 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
My buddy's 1999 GMC & my bro's 2001 Silverado-both of the gas guages bounce around all the time. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#90892 02/28/2004 4:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
Could it be a poor ground connection?
Mine does the same in my '46.


Union, Justice and Confidence
#90893 02/28/2004 12:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
The fuel gauges in my 37 and 45 work ok but have nervous flickering needles.The gauge in my wifes 51 is just a little jumpy.There supposed to act that way,gives em character.

#90894 03/02/2004 7:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
Mine used to get to a certain level and then bounce up or down. I fooled around with it and wound up opening the little metal box around the sender's resistor. It was full of loose rust and there was a break in the resistor wire. I bought a new one and it works fine. However, the place I bought from would not be recommended, since I had to redrill the mounting holes because they were off. - Scott


55 1st Chev.
#90895 03/02/2004 11:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4 spd - I would try an electrolytic cap with a resistor in series to limit inrush current on power up.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0