| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,098 Posts1,056,162 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#90889 02/28/2004 12:36 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I finally got around to installing the runtz regulator on my gas gauge and hooking it back up. It works fine and is pretty accurate, but it bounces up and down every time I hit a bump. I don't think the sending unit has dead spots, I think the response of the gauge is too fast. Is there a way to dampen it? Should I add a capacitor between the sending unit and ground, or should there be some dampening built into the gauge?
The gauge and tank are stock 1950 units and I have a new wiring harness. It did the same thing on 6 volts.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#90890 02/28/2004 2:24 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 | I have the same problem. It is accurate, but bounces or flickers. | | |
#90891 02/28/2004 2:39 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | My buddy's 1999 GMC & my bro's 2001 Silverado-both of the gas guages bounce around all the time. Brian | | |
#90892 02/28/2004 4:20 AM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 | Could it be a poor ground connection? Mine does the same in my '46.
Union, Justice and Confidence
| | |
#90893 02/28/2004 12:38 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | The fuel gauges in my 37 and 45 work ok but have nervous flickering needles.The gauge in my wifes 51 is just a little jumpy.There supposed to act that way,gives em character. | | |
#90894 03/02/2004 7:51 PM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Mine used to get to a certain level and then bounce up or down. I fooled around with it and wound up opening the little metal box around the sender's resistor. It was full of loose rust and there was a break in the resistor wire. I bought a new one and it works fine. However, the place I bought from would not be recommended, since I had to redrill the mounting holes because they were off. - Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | |
#90895 03/02/2004 11:43 PM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | 4 spd - I would try an electrolytic cap with a resistor in series to limit inrush current on power up. | | |
| |
| |