| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,168 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | The fuel tank on my '59 panel is kaput. I've searched high and low, but no one seems to offer a replacement. I have a friend who has a metal fabrication shop, so I guess I'll ask him to make one.
Here are my questions:
Does the geometry need to match the original? If not, what are the criteria?
What material is best? Does it need to be stainless?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | no, there isn't a reproduction available, but you could always look for used, they do show up in the Swap Meet here on occasion ... if you're going to put it in the original location it'll need to be the same shape as the original to fit the mounts, examine them and the space .... no need for it to be SS, the original wasn't, and many of them are still in fine condition Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | red's right, but if you're not going for "all original" you might find a "generic" tank that Stacey David showed on Trucks! a few times.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | Bad news, the guy I had lined up to make a tank backed out.
Guess I'll hafta start scrounging the swap meets...
Is rust considered a body style?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | if you need to get it on the road you could also consider a tank of some type between the rear frame rails like some folks do on pickups
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 45 | Thanks for the suggestion red58. I thought about that but it require cutting a hole in the new bed. I don't really want to do that.
Is rust considered a body style?
| | |
| |
| |