The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 97 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#905222 12/21/2012 11:50 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
I have a 49 with the battery under the floor, Does any one know what will stop the corrosion on the terminals? Thank you.


49 chevy 1-ton. It is a work in progress but it's getting close. 49 1 Ton Pics
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If it is a sealed battery, it should not cause corrosion.

Nonetheless, I still use these felt anti-corrosion pieces. I also coat the terminals with a copper impregnated anti-oxidant grease that is available in small quantity at NAPA and most parts stores.

And, for extra over-kill (under-kill, actually), I use a black pad like this yellow one .

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I drive my '49 daily and once a month, I service the battery. Meaning, that I clean the terminals and check the water level.

I find that I have more corrosion in the winter, as of course I'm driving in the rain constantly, and the battery does get wet from spray, and from condensation.

Also, coating the terminals after assembly with dielectric grease, or vaseline helps. You can still end up with corrosion right on the posts though.

The next time I need a new battery I'll probably spring for an optima. So far though, I've been too cheap.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0