| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Charles in CA, Gdads51, Cletus1950, J Lucas, dt235sd, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
82
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,300 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | In the process of restoring a 1949 3800. Wondering what the opinion regarding refinishing the hood would be. The hood is pretty straight, but has been repainted a time or two, perhaps once with either house paint or a very thick tractor enamel. It has also been split because the rivits down the seam have been replaced with machine screws.
I have decided against sandblasting any truck components at all unless absolutely necessary. I also am planning to avoid any chemical strippers if possible.
So my question is, would you guys a) definitely split and sand b) only split if major repair was required c) not split - only as last resort
And as a follow up, a) prime and paint apart then assemble, b) prime, assemble, then paint c) assemble, prime, and paint.
Or should I just get the paint removed as much as I can and finish?
As always, looking forward to some good thoughts and the voices of experience on this matter. Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 45 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2004 Posts: 45 | If the rivets have already been replaced with screws, I would definitely dissassemble and strip it to metal and epoxy prime. Upside is working on one half the hood at a time makes it more managable too. Mine had the original rivets in good shape so I left it together but it bugs me not doing inside the seam.
Ed Fallon In seemlingily endless process of restoring a stock 1953 chev 3100 pickup.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | I split my hood and had the two seperate halves media blasted. I then epoxy primed and the two halves are protected until I get around to working on them. I plan on color painting ("jambing") the flanges (inside seam) and semi-gloss the underside prior to reassembly and final color painting the entire assembled hood. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 | I made a simple electrical conduit brace for the big end of the hood that bolted to the hinge holes and left the hood latch brace in loosely at the small end. This arrangement acted as a handle & stiffened up the hood so it would not buckle while being handled for blasting, body work, and painting.
Worked out fine and no alignment issues. Easier than taking it all apart in my opinion.
| | |
| |
| |