Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny, homer52, Hotrod Lincoln, FAST55, fonz8261, Guitplayer, 1 invisible),
90
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,451 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 | Anybody know the correct replacement oil filter for the gmc 270 ? The truck is a 3 ton 450 series.
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | One can plumb in a full flow filter into GM 228-302 blocks, makes for a good, modern set-up. Look around here or Inliners web site.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If you are going to use a full-flow filter on 228/248/270/302 GMC engines that have not been converted for full-flow filtration, should you put a restriction in the inflow line to the filter (maybe put in the hose-to-filter-head fitting a washer with a 1/8" opening/restriction)?
I think that is what has been recommended when a full-flow filter is used on standard 216/235 bocks and on pre-1958 261 block?
Troy, are you looking for the filter unit/assembly, or are you looking for the filter cartridge?
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 | Thanks guys for getting back... Tim, at this point I'm just looking to just do a oil change to see if this ol 270 will start. I am just needing the filter size I guess. Maybe once I know the motor is ok I can upgrade to the full flow system.
Thanks again
Troy | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Troy,
What year 270?
Original filter unit?
WIX 51001 maybe? - but this listed as a by-pass filter (1961)
Fram CH200PL maybe? - but this is listed as a full-flow filter (1962)
Can you post a photo of your filter canister and of your cartridge (and the cartridge's dimensions)?
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The 3-ton probably has the big filter. The 51001 is for the smaller filter like on a 235.
Seems like there was a discussion about these GMC filters recently on oldGMCtrucks.com. You need to sign up over there anyway if you have an old GMC. Sign up and do a search.
Come to think of it, it may be on the main site (not the discussion forums)at old GMCs. Check that out too.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | It would have originally had a "AC" S-2 oil filter on it if installed as a Dealer Accessory. 11 5/8" inches tall, by 5"in. wide. Check out the Tech. section of this website under oil filters. That's what's on my '52 470 series COE with 302 engine. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | spanky, Would would a full-flow filter unit work OK on that engine? http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0286.html | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Don't know for sure Tim. I always keep everything on my trucks stock original. I posted a photo of it just now over on the oldgmctrucks website. Big Truck Grease Pit. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 | Thanks guys for the guidance, I will have to pull it off yet. I aint got that far, but hope to soon..... I will check out the other site too. I've kinda browsed it but not their forum's yet..... I'm making progress... Put a hot battery in it and it turned over very strongly..... I will get a few more things done and fire it up ! Thanks again  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 | If it's been sitting for a long time, DO NOT try and start it with the gas that's in the tank. Either drain it and clean the tank, or else rig up a temporary tank until you can. You don't want to fill your engine and carb with old varnish. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 166 | Thanks Rich, I agree with you. I hope to drain it maybe today  I appreciate it  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | If you have the small filter, a Fram C100 will work. If you have the large filter I think a Fleetguard LF504 will work. These engines ran 75 years with bypass filters. Drilling and plumbing for a full flow filter doesn't gain a whole lot in my opinion. A full flow filter was not an option on a 270. You have to drill into the oil galley and then return to the oil galley. | | |
| |