The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (classicfins, Donf, 1 invisible), 72 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,568
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Can you help me identify what seats work in the 60-66 Chevrolet suburban and which ones fit in a 60-66 GMC suburban? I have a couple of seats thatI am in the process of selling and I have some confusion on which ones fit in which make. I had a guy come by in his 60 Chevrolet suburban and tell me they were not the correct ones and another guy come by in his 64 GMC suburban and we could not make them line up either. I know they came from a 60's suburban, I just don't remember which make or year, I pulled them myself. They have the tube support with holes that had the flat bolt and wingnut to hold them to the floor.

I thought that these came from an early GMC suburban, which to my understanding would fit both the Chevrolet and the GMC, is that correct?

If you have pictures that show the difference, I would truly be grateful. Thanks..................g

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
The wider of the two seats goes in the far back.
The shorter goes in the middle if there is a rear (3rd seat)
The wider comes forward if there is only a front and back seat.
The shorter seat allows you to get into the 3rd row seat.

Think that's correct. What do you have to sell??


Jon S
Las Vegas NV
1966 GMC Suburban 305V6
Psalm 66 "Make a joyful noise"
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/gvdobler/0205011645b.jpg
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
You are correct in the way they line up. What I need to know is what seat fits in which suburban? They made two styles, one was similar to the 1947/59 seats as they mounted to the floor via slots and the GMC seats were mounted on a track. I want to see the difference between to two so I can identify what I have.

I will post an ad in the swap meet after I can get a positive identification on what I have

These are similar to what I have these are neals49 seats.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Early years used the same seats IIRC, but 63-66 or so GMC used a track setup which was somewhat different from the Chevy seats. I think thats how it goes.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
That's my thought too, I need pictures of the differences. Thanks

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
George,
My Dads 62 GMC Subn,bought new at Cassel GMC in Patchogue NY,had all the seats in it.
The seats were held to the floor with what looked like flathead carriage bolts,up thru a tubular frame in 4 spots to coincide with slots in the floor,topped off with a square washer,concave on the bottom and flat ontop and finished off with a wing nut.
You could interchange the 2nd /3rd seat location with each other.
I still have the 2nd seat up on a shelf in my garage.
Sadly the 3rd seat was given away back in the late sixties,cause it was taking up space.
And it was only used once or twice.
Believe it or not,except for the upholstery,it looks identical to the 2nd seat in my 51 chevy subn.
hope this helps.
regards steve sr.

Last edited by steve sr; 12/01/2012 1:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Thanks Steve, that is what I thought. The 1960/66 Chevrolet and the 1960/62 GMC used the same seats, the change came in 1963 for the GMC which used a track system.

I would like to see the seat mount s for both types. I have what I believe to be Chevrolet and early GMC, but was told they did not fit the chevrolet. Anyone have any pictures of the seats mounted that show how? Thanks

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 109

Last edited by Jon_S; 11/29/2012 10:02 PM.

Jon S
Las Vegas NV
1966 GMC Suburban 305V6
Psalm 66 "Make a joyful noise"
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/gvdobler/0205011645b.jpg
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I can't see the base or supports and that's the only difference between Chevy and GMC. Thanks........g

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Jon S
Thats 1963 or OLDER Just looking quick cause of the wrap around windshield and Dog leg doors.
Also Definately a GMC cause of the dash.
Chevy 63 and down had a 'double hump dash'
regards,
steve sr.
P.S.
Would love to see the lower shot of those seats as what George is talkin about!!!

Last edited by steve sr; 12/01/2012 1:18 AM. Reason: info
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
there is a good thread about this on the67-72 site and shows the differences on mounting
ron

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=493957&highlight=suburban+seats

Last edited by padresag; 12/04/2012 6:38 PM.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Thanks, padresag. That has a lot of information and it helps a lot. I wish I had a comparison of the two different styles upside down so I can see the differences. I think mine are the bolt down style. i had a guy look at it for his Chevrolet and he said it wouldn't fit, I mounted it in a GMC with tracks and it wouldn't fit that one either. My guess is that it is for the Chevrolet and the first guy did not know how to mount it.

I sent one of the "sellers' that knows a lot on these a PM, but he never answered me, so I do appreciate those that take the time to answer not just sell there stuff on here.

Thank you Steve sr, Jon s, 64fleetside, and padresag for taking the time to help me out! thumbs_up

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13
full set on ebay today

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
I have a few early ('60-'62) GMC Suburbans and they have the tracks. All of my Chevy Suburbans, have the oval plates mortised into the floor, with the elevator bolts, for mounting. The later GMC Suburbans, I have, also have this configuration. I will see if I can come up with some photos of the bottoms of both style seats, as you mentioned, in order to determine the differences.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Thanks, I am sure others will appreciate the information too.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 20
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 20
I know this might be a little late, but are you still looking for pictures of the seat mounts?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
G-Mo, My stock 66 GMC Carryall had tracks to mount the seats with some flexibility front to back. The track is a "C" channel with the open at topside. The fasteners are parallelograms about 1/8 thick with a stud sticking up and thru the hole in seat frame, the a curved washer and wing not. When the nut is tightened the parallelogram rotates and locks into the "C" channel. Chevy's have the keyhole. Maybe you have this info already?
Channel here:

and here:

Here:
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/KGrHqEOKpgE7F5Wqi35BRet-g4TrQ60_3.jpg[/IMG]
The GMC has two mounting rails and the Chevy has three sets of keyholes. Not sure if one fits the other or not.

Ken


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I believe those that say 60-62 GMC had bolt in rear seats, 63-66 had the tracks may be correct.
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/image3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/image2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/DSC03484.jpg.hyml[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/130440_400.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/145630.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/bartamos/jantzen_jim_1963_03.jpg[/IMG]
Above are 1963-1966
Here is a 1960 GMC floor with key holes.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/Corts76/SDC16284.jpg
Lots of confusion about this. If Tony has "later GMC's" with key hole. I definitely had a 3 year old 1966 GMC Carryall with tracks. Did we catch Chevy and GMC swapping left over rear bodies with appropriate front clips, horn button, etc? Yes, they did have keyhole GMC's and Track GMC's, same year.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Thanks for the links. What I was looking for was the actual seat bottoms. The mounting pieces that attach to the floor. I would like a side by side comparison if possible or two pictures one of each style viewing from the floor up. I can see how they bolt to the floor, but I can't see the frames themselves. Thanks.............g

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0