The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Jon G, Wally / Montana, Simon1954, rfs56trk), 249 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#895766 11/10/2012 2:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
I'm looking for some advice on which "Tilt Column" to use in my 1954 3800. I want to use the '54 steering wheel on a newer column.

First choice would be key in dash & NO auto shifter on column.

Looking for a junkyard piece...Not some $500.00 custom. I'm sure a few of you guys have a similar combo in your trucks.

Thanks in advance for any help. Jim D.



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
67 camero or 67 chevelle ss but it would be cheaper to buy a aftermarket

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
I used a 60s-70s GM style tilt aftermarket column on my 51 Panel
(without the key lock, I wanted a dash ignition sw.)

Although my original 51 wheel fit, I used a 49 Olds wheel
and it fit on the splines just fine....
However, a 53 Buick wheel I tried was a different size altogether. Hope this helps a bit.


Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
I used a mid 70's monte carlo column on the 59. Removed the plate that locks the steering wheel, sawed off the shifter and ignition switch bosses, filled them in with bondo, etc. Added some reinforcing on the bottom bearing. The length is perfect for my application. 59 Steering wheel fits the spline and the hub diameter matches the column. I have some hours in the project, but the cost was very little. It even has the early style single button cruise control in the turn signal lever. Very pleased with the finished column.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Thanks for the input guys.

Leonard, Was looking at a used Flaming River for '69 Camero. It was 33" long. FR site have the AD truck columns at 30". But it still might work. $185 used, not sure about the spline???

I was thinking 70's GM Impala/Monte...sounds like it would work. Cruise would be a plus. Don't know if I could use it with a 292 & NV4500 5-speed.?






1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0