| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,661 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 | Hello all, I recently purchased a 1951 GMC 350 2 ton and the piston connecting rod broke. I also suspect a small crack in the engine block. I am looking at rebuilding replacing and possibly even swapping for a newer engine. Does anyone have specs or ideas for a new engine for this truck. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | If you would like to keep your truck a 6 cylinder, there are many available that are direct bolt in replacements for your engine. I assume your motor is a 228 6 cylinder. There is a flat pad on the engine where the distributor goes into the block. There should be a motor serial number stamped on the pad. The first 3 numbers of the motor serial number are the engine displacement. There also might be an issue with 6 volts vs 12 volts.
If your truck has the GMC 6 you could use any 1939-1953 228, 1939-1956 248, 1941-1959 270, or 1951-1959 302. 1954 and later engines might pose some problems due to a different front motor mount setup. Additionally some gmc motors have 4 lug flywheels while others have 6 lug flywheels. The flywheels from bigger trucks are different than the flywheels from the 1/2 ton through 1 ton trucks. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 | Thanks for the info. The truck has a 248 in it. I am looking around now for a replacement. I will probably go bigger if presented with a choice. Have a nice day. -Yori | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | yori....check the adds at OLD GMC Trucks and Inliners.org. I see Jimmys for sale in there quite often. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 16 | Thank you very much. I'll check it out. | | |
| |
| |