The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
I want to replace the Cab to Running Board Seal on my '54 3100. My question is can it be done without removing or loosing the Cab to Running Board Seal Retainer? It looks to me the Running Board must be removed to get access to the screws.

Thanks for you help.
Steve

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Pull the running boards.

I replaced the seals on my '54 last month. The screws into the retainer are 3/4" clutch head sheet metal screws. Yours are probably rusted to the retainer. One is partially blocked by a running board support. Near impossible to remove them with the running boards on.

Buy new retainers and paint them with a good rustproofing paint. Run a screw into each hole in the retainer to ease the installation. Probably a good idea to sand and Ospho the cab where the retainers attach, then paint with rustproofing paint.

I replaced the old steel screws with 3/4" square drive stainless steel screws. Wipe some anti seize compound on them as you install. If a truely picky person stands on his head and glances at them above the runningboard, they almost look like clutch head screws! And they were easier to install than slotted or Phillips.

I used Fastenal SKU: 29971 "#10-12 x 3/4" Square Pan Head Sheet Metal Screw Type A, 18-8 Stainless Steel."
< CLICK >

One of my running boards went back on with no problem. The other took Wayne (Wayne67vert) and me half a day to install. The front and rear fenders were too close together. Either the cab or fenders had shifted. Might as well buy new stainless hardware for the running boards, too. 'Course you can also strip and paint the boards while they're off. It never ends.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
Thank you for the informative response. Now I know exactly what is in front of me. I was thinking of reusing my retainers as they "appear" to be in very good condition, but new ones are not expensive and a job well done is a job ALL done.

Thanks


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0