The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#890897 10/20/2012 11:10 PM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
This afternoon I removed the bed from my 51 so I can get started rebuilding it. The PO had a bunch of trash in the bed, which just collected and retained moisture. This rotted out the floor and the lower areas of the box front and sides. Several years ago the left rear fender was caved in by a hit-and-run driver. Before removing the fender I used the porta-power to push out a lot of the damage.

I use this pickup as a daily driver and it sits outside all the time. I am considering replacing the wood floor with steel treadplate and then having the tread plate covered with Rhino-liner (or other similar product).

Has anyone else handled the floor situation like I intend to? What would you do if you were in my situation? [IMG


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I've seen several trucks with liner sprayed on the bed floor and up the sides. For a dailey use, non show truck, I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't go for a too thick,heavy plate though. Maybe 1/8th inch. It will still need support under it from the original bed crossmembers and to fit correctly.
The bed front is seriuosly damaged. What do you plan to do about that?


Drew
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I will cut out the old rusty metal and patch in new metal. I am now trying to figure out what gauge the sheet metal is so I can get some patch metal.

I am doing a forum search now to get the correct answer.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0