The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889654 10/15/2012 8:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Team,
I plan on rebuilding my gauges. They all work (althrough the speed-o-meter sometimes does not move until 10-20 MPH..

I was considering sending them to a shop, but the estimate I received is between $500 and $700. This sounds WAY high.

Anyone have any experience with a 'reasonable' priced shop.. OR, how much the decals, bezels and glass is? I was also looking for a 'how to' video...

Thanks.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/interior/gauge%20cluster/index.html

The resurfacing part is not to difficult


Here is a pretty good match for the brown
...pic...

Dry transfers from archer
...pic...

New decals
...pic...



Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks much. This helps and gives me confidence. Looks like Jim Cater has everything except the cluster gaskets and the dry transfers for the temp/gas/etc etc..

Did you go in to your speedometer? I see the decals for the odometer also as part of the kit. Did you use them too?



David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by DADS50
here is the link to Archer

...link...

I purchased the decals , chrome ring , glass and gaskets from classic parts. Dry transfers from woody above.

Resurfaced the speedo, lucky mine was working.
Used the number decals for the odometer also.
Just make sure you index them correctly.

...this...
To
...this...

If you paint the inside of the housing make sure you clean paint for a good ground otherwise your fuel gauge and instrument lights won't work.
...pic...

Only paint I could not find is the salmon/pink for the center buttons
...pic...

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
I was sitting at the kitchen table trying to remove the needle with pliers, etc., with no luck until I got an idea. I grabbed a fork out of the silverware drawer and used the middle two tines to pry up on the needle. It worked great!

Last edited by twotone; 10/15/2012 10:01 PM.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks so much folks. Great advice. I like the fork idea!

I had no idea the cost to just clean and rebuild would be $500-$700 for the cluster. That still sounds very high. I was estimating less then $100 for parts so @ $80 per hour (guess) that is between 6 and 7 hours of labor? Does not sound right.

Thanks.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
I think I had $60 bucks in my gauge resto, and that was for 2 clusters. It didn't take very long. However, I will say pay very close attention, take detailed photos, and drawings, work on a cookie sheet so the parts don't roll off the bench, and be able to sit down and do it start to finish in one sitting. The Odometer was the hardest part to me.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Here is some more info ...

> Tech Tip: Art Deco Speedo by Jeff Erickson, "rustednuts"
(Read "Starting back at the base of the speedometer assembly" and click on the links to pics for info on lube.)

> Tech Tip: TaskForce Odometer by Bill LePage, "Red58"

> Recent Stovebolt thread


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0