The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Peggy M, Jon G, dt235sd, HandyAndy, Bill Hanlon), 139 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
I am trying to mate together a stock 4spd transmission on my 65 C10 onto the engine. I got the truck in pieces from my dad so I could have a wrong part but it is driving me crazy!

The problem is the bell housing will not bolt to the engine without the throwout bearing placing crazy amounts of pressure onto the pressure plate. It almost seems like I was sold the wrong throwout bearing or is this normal? I will try and attach a pic of the throw out bearing the parts store sold me. I'm pretty sure the clutch, pressure plate and everything else is right because my dad kept everything together. I'd appreciate any help.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/krazymatt2010/Ebay%201-1-2012/IMAG1191.jpg

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
It is possible you have the wrong throw out bearing for the pressure plate. There are two common pressure plates for our trucks, one use coil springs and the other a diaphragm spring. The coil springs require a shorter length TO bearing than the diaphragm, because of the length to the flywheel.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by LGriffin
It is possible you have the wrong throw out bearing for the pressure plate. There are two common pressure plates for our trucks, one use coil springs and the other a diaphragm spring. The coil springs require a shorter length TO bearing than the diaphragm, because of the length to the flywheel.

Larry

So what do I ask for at the parts store? They are clueless and say that this is the only one shown for our trucks. I guess I might have to order somewhere online. I can't believe this darn throwout bearingh issue has been screwing with me for like 3 weeks now.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I think I'd find another parts house. The last couple of clutches I've bought have been as sets, pressure plate, clutch disc, and TO bearing. When your truck was built it probably had a coil spring pressure plate, that was the norm. I'd guess that is what you have. I tried to find something online for you but all I got was big dose of frustration. There is about inch difference in length.

success here's link to some pics;

https://www.google.com/search?q=che...p;ved=0CIIBELAE&biw=1366&bih=586



Larry

Last edited by LGriffin; 09/29/2012 9:01 PM. Reason: found pics

I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Online: Content
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy krazymatt, what engine are you working with, the parts book shows a shorter throwout bearing for a 327 engine o.e.m. p/n 900018 (1 1/4" long). There are two different designs of diaphragm clutches, a flat finger design that would probably use the longer throwout bearing, and a bent finger design that would use the shorter throwout bearing, this design probably places the clutch fingers very close to where the fingers would be on the coil spring (Borg & Beck) pressure plates mentioned by LGriffin above. The Napa p/n BRG N3068SA is the crossover from 900018, hope that helps.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
Thanks for the help guys. I finally just ordered one from Classic parts. They list the two different ones. I also wanted to update that today I mated the motor with the transmission and installed the engine in the truck. I had experienced a couple of broken bolts issues and a couple of wrong and missing parts but man do I feel accomplished today when I bolted in that engine. Now it's all down hill from here to get the old girl running. I just need to buy me a water pump, thermostat, hoses, and plugs and wires and I'll be able to fire her up.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0