The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (carbking, 2-Ton, Guitplayer), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#885078 09/27/2012 4:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
I'm putting the Blue Funk (see my signature) back together and was messing with the heater. The hot wire has, what I guess is, the original cloth-type insulation.

I wnat to replace the wire before re-installing it. I noticed a black plastic-like connector in the line.

What is this thing? What can I use to replace it?

Thanks.



Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
It is an in-line fuse/fuse-holder?

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by tclederman
It is an in-line fuse/fuse-holder?

I don't know, Tim. That's what I was thinking, too.

However, the connector, a black plastic piece, appears to be solid. The wire strands go directly into its ends and nothing appears to detach.


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Dave -

The black connector is probably a bullet type wire connector. I don't think that heaters had in-line fuses, unless added by an owner.

Does it look like the one in this "before" picture of my '54 Air Flow heater? Bottom wire is the hot wire with bullet connector. The other wire is the ground.
> '54 Heater

AIR FLOW HEATER:
See Figure 100 in the link below. Look for the word "CONNECTOR" near the back of the valve cover. Follow the indicator line to the connector on the wire to the heater.
> Figure 100

RECIRCULATING HEATER:
See Figure 105 in the link below. Look for the words "MOTOR WIRE CONNECTOR" in the top center of the diagram. Follow the indicator line to the connector.
> Figure 105

> BULLET CONNECTORS (Google images) available at most auto parts and electronic supply stores.

Last edited by LonnieC; 09/27/2012 8:16 AM. Reason: Added heater and Google pics

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Hey Dave ...

I looked through your PhotoBucket pics and got sick all over again when I saw your pics of the Blue Funk hit by a semi.

Here is some more info on your connector and cloth covered wire:

> Stovebolt discussion on wire connectors

> Stovebolt discussion on cloth covered wire and heater connectors Cloth wire info at beginning of thread. Heater connector info posts by Denny Graham dated 10/26/06 02:12PM; and by Tiny dated 10/26/06 04:08PM

> Another Stovebolt discussion on cloth covered wire


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Mine, the recirculating type, has the same bullet connector on the hot wire. Looks like solid black plastic but I think that might just be 60yrs of grime.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I corrected the link to the posts by Denny Graham and Tiny about cloth wire and heater connectors.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Wow. Thanks for all the pics, links, and info, Lonnie. I appreciate the empathy for the Blue Funk's hit, also. Purchasing the Blue Funk and the subsequent accident has really changed my life and opened up a whole new world of interest. I use to be into art and bicycling predominately, but now rebuilding the Blue Funk is my main hobby and I'm totally enjoying it!

All the info you linked me to is a great reference, I put it to good use, and truly appreciate your time and energies.

Thanks for your input also, Eric. You BLUEMEANIE, you.


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Doh! I should have let you know I was in your neighborhood the other day! Rode the Riverfront and Confluence trails from St.L to Alton for a burger at Fast Eddies. cool


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0