The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (GDW, ndkid275, Gdads51, ‘37ChevyPU), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#884010 09/21/2012 7:50 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
I'm replacing my rear brake shoes. I have a 1950 3600.

Anyone have detailed instructions on removing the rear shoes? I looked in the manual, and the part I am stuck on is "Remove brake shoe anchor pin lock and pin". Is it a c-clip? Special tools required?

Thanks much


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The pin is at the bottom center. It has a large head on the outside and it goes through the shoes and anchor plate. It emerges behind the plate and that is where the clip is. One side of the clip is bent up. This must be bent down and then the clip will slde sideways and pop off the pin. Here is a photo of a clip. Chevs of the 40s "Pinlock Part 475508

Last edited by truckernix; 09/21/2012 8:34 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Thanks much. I wound up pullng the shoes down and sliding the clips off the back side of the pin and spring pin that goes through the shoes. I left the brackets in place. I did loose one of the anchor clips. Can I just use snap rings instead? Even if I get the clip off the large center pin, it would be a stuggle to get it out as there is no way to get behind it to tap it out??



David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
btt


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I agree that it is not very convenient! For the clips with the springs I felt that they were too strong to use a C clip. The C clip distorts under the force of the spring. The truck part vendors do carry the locking clips but the sizing is hard to get right. Just a few weeks ago someone posted a source for buying the clips and it wasn't a truck parts vendor.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Well, I removed everything and ordered new anchor clips (mostly because I lost one).

I feel better now that they are all off and cleaned up. I can tell the shoe were not moving freely. Putting all together with new wheel cylinders too. Will use anti sieze on all the moving parts.

I also had the drums turned. They were a bit out of round, but it did not take much and they came out great.

So now it's time to wait for parts. Should have it together by next weekend. Next month, I'll do the front (with my new found confidence...

brake shoes
Old parts.. yuk
Turned drums
Cleaned up ready to go.. I hope

Comments? Suggestions? Am I on the right track?


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I bought new wheel cylinders for the front of my 1 Ton and I had the back ones rebuilt. I was able to cause the thread to fail on the new front ones with a lot of foot pressure. There was so much clearance in the adjuster threads that the piston pushed the caps right out over the threads of the inside shaft. My point is I would advise you to hang on to all your old parts.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Good point. I will even tear them apart and hone them out to see what they look like.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I ended up using the adjusters from my old cylinder to corrct the problem.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
I have the old wheel cylinders apart and cleaned up just in case. The adjusters were mostly frozen (shame on me) and some of tabs on them were bent or broken off.

I'll be sure to use a good dose of antisieze on all moving parts before assembly.

When I do my fronts, I might attempt a rebuild of the wheel cylinders using the best parts I have.

I can't find my brake spring tool. I'll pick up a new one. It looks like I might be able to put the spring on, then use a big srew driver to pry the shoes open to go on the adjusters?

We'll see later this week.

Thanks for the help.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have never tried putting it together that way. those springs inside the cylinders want to pop the pistons out when there is nothing holding them in.

I used the brake spring tool as in the manual but it took a little divot out of the lining. Some folks put something on the lining to stop the tool from digging in.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
An idea I have is to use a tie wrap on the wheel cylinder so the adjusters and pistons don't pop out. Perhaps it would best to just put the spring on last with a spring tool?


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Tie wrap is what I use and yes I think putting the spring on last is the way to go.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Update...
I have everything apart and cleaned up. Pics of the new wheel cylinders and even through together a new brake line. Master cylinder and the snap ring anchors will be here tomorrow. Hope all goes together well. I'm using plenty of anti seize.

pic1
pic 2 pic 3


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Update again. All went together well. The new wheel cylinders did not work as they did not have enough offset to match up with the shoes. I wound up using the old cylinders and re-building them. They seemed to work fine....

Everything adjusted and blead out fine. Good hard peddle and the parking brake works better then ever.

Will do the front brakes next month. I know the shoes are good, but the adjusters could use a good cleaning, etc...

Thanks for all the help.



David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
updating/fixing brakes are one of the most satisfying maintenance jobs.. cool how you can tell immediately if they were done right and you feel the improvement


1950 Chevy 3600


Instagram/Olbluechevytruck
on Classic trucks:
http://rides.classictrucks.com/ride/1085750/olblue/1950/chevrolet/c20/
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 687
Since the rear brake job was successfull, I'm ready to attack the fronts. I've had the front drums off last year and the shoes were in great shape.

My plan is to remove the drums and visually inspect. Then lubricate the pins that the shoes pivot on and make sure the wheel cylinder is not leaking. Remove and lubricate the adjusters (using anti sieze). I do NOT plan on turning the drums until I put new shoes on it.

I will clean and inspect the wheel bearings at the same time.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks.


David Gilmore
Stovebolt Pictures
Paint progress
____________________________
1950 Chevy 3600

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0