The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88138 10/10/2003 5:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
For the standard heater, just where is the heater motor switch supposed to be? And what does it look like? I think I have the stock switch, which is a three position switch. It has the low speed dropping resistor mounted on it (ceramic tube with wire wrapped around it). I think it mounts under the dash, just to the left of the steering mast. I don't like the idea of this resistor near my knees, as the thing will run hot on low speed, especially considering I'm running with 12V instead of the stock 6V. Maybe I will just eliminate this resistor...don't need the heater too often in south Texas. Not sure if I have the 6V or 12V motor, I assume I should use a 12V motor which hopefully is an easy replacement.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Your right about the switch. If you need a 12 volt fan motor, this one will work Grainger motor


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
Tex: The original heater switch is a brown plastic switch that has three positions on a flat brown plastic toggle that goes up and down. The maroon replacement switches with a rheostat type of setup are not original and are not what came on the truck from the factory.

Here's a photo of similar switch. The difference in the original is that it is brown toggle with "heat" on it instead a white toggle with "air" on it.
[img]http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/photos/stovebolt/heaterswitch.jpg[/img]

It mounts under the dash between the defroster cable knob and the column.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
Whoa! Ooops! Correction!

This is the switch used on '47-'53 trucks. The '54 GMC (and "'55 1st series" GMC)had a toggle on the dash above the radio and to the right of the guage cluster, in an odd spot.

I am unsure about how Chevy truck heater switches were set up on '55 1s series. I know that it is a two speed (three position w/off) switch because I have an original '55 1st series Chevy Truck data book, but as far as the type of switch, I am now uncertain.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
hello all. just ran out to check the switch on my 55 first series chevy and it is the same as the one in the picture and is mounted to the left of the steering mast. the word air is printed on the toggle.


our garage is a non-profit organization
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
Thanks everyone! My switch looks like the one in the pic but I will have to look closer to see if "air" or "heat" is imprinted on the toggle itself. I have seen replacements that have a rotary dial, these must be aftermarket. I think I will try to use my existing switch after switching to a 12V motor. The current should be approximately halved and therefore the power dissipation from that ceramic/wire-wound resistor should be one fourth of original (power = current squared times resistance)

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Thats the same switch used in the '54 sedans. You'll need the additional resistor as sold by antique auto if you're gonna use a 6V motor. That stock switch is designed for the power involved with a 6 volt system. 12 volts will shorten its life.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Okay, so I think I'm confused. My 55 1st GMC has an empty hole in the dash where I believe the heater control was originally installed. The current hearter control is one of the aftermarket type things, located under the dash. The heater is the standard sort, though it looks like the truck once had a delux heater in it.

I have a '47 Chevy with a delux heater, and the original switch and controls. I want to update to a 12-volt motor, and put the delux heater from the '47 in my 55 1st.

Will this work?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0