The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jays58, BC59, KEVINSKI, tricordati, Otto Skorzeny, Gazz), 111 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878995 08/30/2012 11:05 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
I've done a bit of research and come to a point where I'm on information overload and can't make a decision.

What are everyone's thoughts on boiling and sealing/coating a rusty tank vs buying a new galvanized steel or Ni-Tern (nickel plated) steel tank?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
New Tank
rock auto offers a spectra tank, made in Canada
...rock auto...
$145 plus shipping


Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If you have the option of a new tank I think that's the way to go. In my case I didn't have that option so I had the larger holes brazed shut then acid cleaned and coated my tank. Eight years later now and no problems. If you go with an acid cleaning and coating be sure to follow the directions. Those who don't have problems.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
How much do you value your time? I feel that all the time you spend cleaning and getting ALL the rust out of the tank and then acid washing, drying, and coating it's cheaper to just replace the tank - unless you have a real odd ball tank. But the tank for yours only runs about one fifty. And you don't have to worry about missing a spot and having to re-do it again later.

Just my 2 cents............


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
new tank

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
New, if you can. I spent $70 on a reseal kit just to find out afterwards that the fuel pickup broke or rusted out and I'm sucking air now.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Thanks guys! I agree that a new tank is the way to go.

Now, the question is, galvanized or Ni-Tern?
Spectra tanks are Ni-Tern ... I've read that the Spectra tanks rust at the welds.

Tanks for AD trucks run about $150 on up but shipping puts it at or above the $200 mark and I, being in MO, pay tax at Jim Carter and Classic Parts.


PootersPanel - I was reading your post about that, did you get it sorted out?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Some of the vendors tanks are Chinese/overseas made.

Metric threads on bottom and inlets not lining up.
Before you purchase ask a few questions


Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I'd expect that Spectra tanks are about all you'll find except maybe some Chinese imitation, would like to see some references to the welds rusting, never heard that before ... Ni-Tern [nickel/tin] steel is the OEM approved material nowadays, and I believe Spectra tanks are externally coated after assembly, as well as having a warranty for use with E20

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
BLUEMEANIE- not yet. I just ordered a pickup truck sender with built in fuel pickup. Gonna modify it to work.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Whoa. Rock Auto has the Spectra tank for $159 shipped to my ZIP! Case closed, order placed.

...also, just spoke to a couple people at Spectra and they were as nice as can be.

red58 - With all the random links I followed I couldn't link you to the specific comments I read, they were just random posts in longer threads but it came up enough that I noticed. ...but not enough that its something I'd worry about. They all referred to "light rust at the welds."

PootersPanel - Good deal. Hope it all works out for ya.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
The PO had the tank "cleaned" and relined but, it only lasted about 5 years and it started to rust through again which created some real problems for me.
I think relining is OK as long as the tank is prep'd properly and you want to do a down and dirty.
As stated previously by others, for the cost, I would definitely go for new.


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
get a new tank

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
^ Yup. Ordered yesterday.

Peter_H - I think that's what is happening to me. The PO had the tank relined and I'm seeing the aftermath 5-6yrs later. There's more and more rust showing up in the fuel and it is starting to look cloudy (but not pink/rust cloudy) all the time even with a new filter after the tank.

I ended up finding a discount code and getting the Spectra tank delivered for under $150 from RockAuto. At that price it was a no brainer.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Wow. RockAuto is awesome! I ordered the tank shipped at 4:30p on Thursday for significantly less than any one else had it listed with out shipping and it arrived in two days via FedEx!

Also when I had technical questions they couldn't answer, they three-way'ed Spectra directly!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
might be a good idea to inspect that new tank.

When I looked at the bottom outlet of my new spectra tank I found this.
...pic...

...pic...

It not rust but some dried up oil or preservative maybe from the assembly process.

I was able to clean it up easily with solvent.

Just didn't want to introduce any small particles into the fuel system

good luck

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
DAD, that looks like flux residue from soldering the fitting in, gas would dissolve it the same as the solvent did

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
could be flux, I dont know

it was in the packaging also
...pic...
...pic...

didnt want to take any chance so I cleaned it up

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
BLUEMEANIE, do inspect the inside of the tank as DADS50 said... When I got mine it had flash rust in it from getting wet during shipping... ROCK AUTO had no problem replacing it...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Will do. Mine arrived oily on the outside like DADS50's.

I'm wondering what, if anything, to coat the outside of the tank with... ? What are you guys using?
I was thinking something like a rubberized undercoating or something.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
What are you guys using?
I was thinking something like a rubberized undercoating or something.

I didnt coat the outside.
...pic...

if you do decide to coat it make sure you leave a spot for a good ground On the sender otherwise your fuel gauge wont work.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
^ You're not worried about the outside rusting at all?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
I'm wondering what, if anything, to coat the outside of the tank with... ? What are you guys using?
the Spectra tanks have a lead/tin coating on the outside, adding anything else will not be an improvement and may not stick for long

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by red58
the Spectra tanks have a lead/tin coating on the outside, adding anything else will not be an improvement and may not stick for long
Bill
Good info above,


Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
^ You're not worried about the outside rusting at all?
I don't live in an area where rust is a problem. I didn't consider painting it.


Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the rest of the truck will be dust before the outside of a new tank inside the cab rusts wink the original rusted from the inside out due to condensation, always keep the tank full in storage to lessen that problem

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by red58
the Spectra tanks have a lead/tin coating on the outside, adding anything else will not be an improvement and may not stick for long
Cool. Good to know.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0