The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Robert Crandall), 73 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878569 08/28/2012 9:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
I have found a 1954 235 with the factory 4 speed man trans still on it from a P/U. It has the front center motor mount and shorty water pump as you would expect. I currently have a 1948 P/U with a 1951 216 & factory 4 speed man trans on it.

Can I swap out the 54 engine and trans combo with the current 216 engine trans in the truck fairly easy? It appears like a perfect match.


Keith
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I have not done a swap into a '54, but have swapped 216,235, and a 261 in AD models without any major problems.


Drew
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You won't be able to use the '54 bellhousing but you can put everything else on your existing bellhousing.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
So the 54 bellhousing is shaped differently but has same bolt pattern? Can I use the 54 4 speed on the 51 Bellhousing as well?


Keith
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Yes


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Thanks for this info/ it will save me a lot of time and aggravation when I go to swap them out. Can I pull the 216 engine & 4 speed Trans as one unit using a engine hoist. That is how I had pulle them as a kid when I worked on the cars of my era ?[ late 60 early 70 models]


Keith
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Only if you think you can clear the rear motor mount frame cross brace. The 4-speed transmission hangs a little low.

You cannot lift the engine more than about an inch without the clutch housing hitting the firewall.



Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0