The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, 1946chevytruck, Otto Skorzeny, Wayne67vert, Wheelie, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#878110 08/27/2012 1:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
So after doing the POR 15 gas tank reseal and a new fuel pump, I've found that my tank is sucking air, even with 5 gallons in it. I'm assuming the pick up tube is rusted through. My truck is a one ton, but someone wedged a 1/2 ton tank in there at one point. Any body have any experiences or knowledge of how to fix this? I really don't want to buy another tank since I just dumped $70 worth of sealer in it.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
aren't all the panel tanks the same regardless of model? or do you think there's a pickup truck tank in your panel? how did you do the sealer without taking the sender and tube out?? what makes you think my assumption of how to remedy what you're assuming is the problem has any relation to reality?? assumptions aren't usually a good way to trouble shoot wink

tanks are supposed to "suck air" - if you mean the pump isn't pumping, have you checked the line tank-to-pump well? any cracked rubber hose involved there? how do you know it's "sucking air" and not sucking a vacuum because somethings plugged? such as the outlet plugged with tank sealer

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
When cranking engine and with putting a vacuum pump on the fuel line at the carbs,I have air bubbles coming up from the pump inlet as viewed through the clear pump bowl. If I remove the gas cap while this is happening, I hear the leak inside the tank. And it is not holding a vacuum.

When I sealed the tank, there was no way to remove the fuel pickup from inside the tank, it is behind a baffle and I assume its welded/brazed/solderer to the tank outlet. All I could do is shove a pipe brush down the oulet to keep it clear. The pickup is not part of the sender like the later trucks.

From what I can figure out on the panels, the 1/2 ton tank is shorter and wider then the 1 ton tank since the 1 ton frame rails are closer together. Someone has put a 1/2 tank in my panel because it looks and measures identical to all the pictures of 1/2 ton tanks Ive seen, including the reproductions. And this 1/2 ton tank sits about 1" from my driveshaft, even through the tank is up against the frame.

Last edited by PootersPanel; 08/27/2012 3:18 PM.

1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Always keep it more than half full?

Hahaha. Seriously though, you might want to see at what point it starts to just suck gasoline, and no air. You might want to drop the tank, or unhook it, and check the lines to see if they, or the glass bowl on the fuel pump it leaking.

Th bowl on my fuel pump seeped a tiny amount of air, and the truck wouldn't start right at all. I had a rough surface on the pump, from my old nemesis, corrosion.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the fuel line connects at the top of the tank and there's no way to access the tube? I thought all tank pickups had some sort of filter on them, like a 'sock', and the bottom outlet style a screen, there has to be a way to take either type out .... someone with a 53 will have to chime in

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
I know its not the glass bowl because the bubbles are coming directly from the inlet port inside the bowl. Does anyone know if the 54 sender, part number 23-525 in the Classic Parts catalog would fit my tank? It has the P/U included with the sender.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
any of the senders fit the same size hole, but the one offered is for the behind the seat tank, it won't have the right shape/length to fit an under frame tank

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
First of all, what year are you working with? 1947/1953 used the same sending unit, 1954/55 used a different sending unit with a fill tube, the earlier tanks filled from the middle. Do you know which sending unit is being used?

But I also noticed that you put por-15 in the tank. Did you remove the tank and rotate it to make sure all of the tank got sealed?

Here is a previous POST that should help with understanding the gas tanks on the panels and suburban.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I just finished repairing the gas tank in my 53 burb. The tank had been damaged right where the pickup tube exits the tank. I won't go into detail on what I did, but as a result of the repair, the original pickup tube was eliminated. I then installed a "truck" gas tank sender unit, with built in pickup tube. This pickup tube exits the wrong direction, toward the frame, due to the screw holes and allows the guage arm to clear the tank wall. I purchased new "bendable" fuel line and re-routed it back to the center and around to the front of the tank.

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
Yes guys, I have the older style (1953), The fuel line comes out the front/side of the tank. not out the top. I did PRO-15 the tank, tank was removed and done properly. Looks like I'm going to order up a 54-55 sender with built in pick up and do some fuel line rerouting.


1953 1 ton panel
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
If you find a new 54/55 sender for a 54/55 panel-body fuel tank, woud you please post the name of the vendor and the part number?

Thanks,

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
T
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by red58
aren't all the panel tanks the same regardless of model?

The 1/2 and 1 tons used different tanks. The 1 ton had a larger 18 gallon tank. Not that this fact really makes a difference, except that new 1/2 ton tanks are available, while the larger 1 ton tank is not.

I think with what has been done to your tank already, there is little you can do at this point easily fix the tank. Yakimabowties solution might be your best bet.

One sure fix, perhaps the best long term, would be to buy a new 1/2 ton tank, which would be just like the one you have.... and deals done.

off the topic: I once lived in Mukilteo, just off the Speedway.


1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
I ended up ordering a pickup truck sender. I'll do what I have to do to make it work. Its cheaper then the $350 for another tank.


1953 1 ton panel

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0