Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (CandoBrent, 1 invisible),
108
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | I am in the process of replacing the brake systems on my 1948 1 Ton. I was able to find new wheel cylinders online but I would like to take current ones apart, hone them, and replace the seals, etc. My one problem is that the caps are sealed on from rust. My first thought was to soak them in PB Blaster for a couple days and see what happens. Wondering if anyone had luck with another method, or if soaking is my best option?
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 | I will generally soak them in my parts cleaner or kerosene and have also used PB Blaster and still usually end up pounding them out.
Clean, hone, and clean cylinder walls with alcohol before appling fluid to insert seals.
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | I was trying to stay away from pounding, but its better than the alternative. Do you just put the casting in a vice and use a rubber mallet? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 133 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 133 | Buy the new ones. the ones i bought from napa were only $35 each and i didn't have to do the extra work to end up with a leaky cyl. my opinion. if you do the rebuild, check and double check for a rust pit. my2cents
daren | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I would suggest soaking them in EvapoRust. You can't really pound on them because those little teeth are fragile. After you get the caps off I would only apply force to the outside of the pistons. It is really easy to fracture the middle of those pistons. Oh, I would not squeeze them in a vice. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | Thanks for the input. I was finally able to get them apart with some PB Blaster and a little finess with a brass punch and hammer. Didn't have to use a vice to compress, just a support to knock the bottoms out.
What is the general technique for cleaning the rust off the wheel cylinders? I have a blaster and was thinking walnut shells, but wanted to know what worked for anyone else. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | If they are that rusty, they may be too pitted to build without sleeving them.
New ones would be the way to go.
Two things you want to be able to do in these old trucks for certain. STOP...... and STEER.
Not worth it sometimes to chance old parts when new ones are out there fairly reasonable. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | I was able to get the inside of the cylinders clean with some alcohol and I did not see any pitting on the inner diameter. I just wanted to get the rust off the exterior so I do not have this problem again.
As for replacing them, the front cylinders are not that bad but the rear ones are listed at $116 a piece. I budgeted for the replacement cost, but if I could stay away from it I would like to. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | If they aren't pitted then they should be fine to rebuild. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Roy, The best way to remove rust is with a lye bath and a little electrolysis. If you have a plastic tub, a battery charger, a bottle of lye and a piece of scrap stainless, you are ready to go. mix up a solution of lye to water at the rate of one tablespoon to a gallon. NOTE, you can also use washing soda if the lye bothers you, Hook the positive terminal to a piece of scrap stainless, hook the negative terminal to the part and put them in the plastic tub with the solution. Turn on the juice. This will convert all the rust back to iron, but of course it won't fill pits or make rust solid. Basically it does the same thing as phosphoric acid, but better. You will be amazed at how well this works. Here is a neat link: FIT's electrolysis bath Kurt | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 841 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 841 | i must have had really good luck, i have only broke 1. i let them soak for a while and drive them out with a brass punch on a wood block. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | Will the electrolysis leave any material/residue on the inner diameter of the cylinder? I don't want to adhere anything to the inner walls and end up with an uneven surface before honing (they are smooth now). | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | I have never had it leave a residue other than a slight film where the rust has converted. You will want to immediately wash the part in water after you take it out of the bath and then dry it with compressed air. Wire brushing the outside as you clean it would be helpful.
You might want to try it first on something else if you are concerned about it.
The critical thing is to get the polarity right, because if you get it backwards, it will remove material.
Be sure to wear heavy duty rubber gloves if you are using lye. That slippery feeling if you get any of the lye solution on your fingers is the skin cells sliding off.
Be sure to read FIT's article.
Kurt | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 177 | I read through the FIT article, and it looks promising. I have some fine grade walnut shells that I might try. If that doesn't work I might try the electrolysis on the wheel cylinders. I will definitely give it a try on the other parts that are caked in rust. | | |
| |