The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#875132 08/16/2012 12:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 64
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 64
Toyota bought the rights to produce a high pressure/insert bearing version of the 216 for the Land Cruiser, right? Anyone ever put one in a Stovebolt?


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

1941 AL 3/4 ton 125-1/4 WB, bought by my Great Uncle Matt in 1942. Still in the family.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you may have heard of the Type F engine, very loosely based on the 235, although there were earlier versions, Type A and B, based on older stovebolt designs .... not much similarity

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
I had a Land Cruiser new in 78. They were bullet proof with one exception....their motors, Toyota took a great design and didn't get it right. Mine had shed it's rings and valve guides before it was even a year old which was typical. Most guys back then pulled these motors out and swapped a small block Chevy 283 V8 and then had a Land Cruiser that could do it all!

I wouldn't reccomend this motor for your Stovebolt.


-Mike-


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Ron - I've been an Admin on the Toyota Nation forums for about 10yrs now and ever since I started wrenching on my '51 3100 I've been wanting a mid '50s USDM Crown sedan with an F series six.



sleeve - My understanding of the popular FJ V8 swap was due more to the engines somewhat anemic power compared to the other offerings and off-roading trends of the '80s and 90's rather than it's reliability.

By '78 your FJ40/55 woulda had a 2F of similar design but a different oiling system. Perhaps you got a bad one, the F series engines started production in '51 and were commercially available around 1954-1993, a ~40yr run hardly suggests they 'got it wrong'.
...not to mention the original F got an LC to the top of Mt. Fuji in '51 and the entire series established Toyota's early reputation for rock solid reliability around the world.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
My neighbour has a 1976 diesel Land Cruiser. One day he had the brilliant idea of wirebrushing the head AFTER he took out the glow plugs! I asked what about the crap falling in the cylinders and he said that once he turned it over it would blow out the debris! He also drained the oil and ran it through a rag and put it back in. BUT only 2 quarts. He turned it over and BANG! It seized. We tried to turn it with a crowbar and it would not budge. Anyway $5000 later plus free labour he had a new engine. But it gets better. He had a thump-thump sound and realized the oil pan was up against the crankshaft journals or whatever. He wore a hole in the pan but fixed it with JB Weld and - get this - he painted the inside of the pan!
So based on that I have no opinion about how good the engines are.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
I respectfully disagree with this, mine was fixed under warranty and the service manager candidly admitted to me at the time that Toyota had a big problem with this and that the service dept. had seen many others with the same problem. It was not an isolated incident and I have met many other FJ40 and FJ60 owners over the years that have confirmed this.

As far as power goes the original motor had plenty of good old inline six torque for rock crawling even over 12,000 ft passes and it moved along OK on the highway that is until it lost compression and started burning oil. Any amount of highway or freeway use accelerated the onset of the problem. I think the V8 swap satisfied the hot rod crowd back then plus gave a lot more reliability but the nice low end grunt of a straight six was lost in the process. If I owned one today I'd be looking to swap in a 292!

By the early 80's the FJ was gone in this country replaced by the the toyota 4x4 pick up with its more reliable little 4 banger engine.



sleeve - My understanding of the popular FJ V8 swap was due more to the engines somewhat anemic power compared to the other offerings and off-roading trends of the '80s and 90's rather than it's reliability.

By '78 your FJ40/55 woulda had a 2F of similar design but a different oiling system. Perhaps you got a bad one, the F series engines started production in '51 and were commercially available around 1954-1993, a ~40yr run hardly suggests they 'got it wrong'.
...not to mention the original F got an LC to the top of Mt. Fuji in '51 and the entire series established Toyota's early reputation for rock solid reliability around the world. [/quote]

Last edited by sleeve; 08/16/2012 9:22 PM.

1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Sleeve - Interesting, I'm not surprised to hear it tho. Even in a good series there have to be a few bad eggs. ...my daily driver is a 2006 Toyota with a supercharged 2AZ-FE. The short block and supercharger were replaced under warranty to the tune of +$10k at 39000mi. I'm not the only one who has had the issues with the SC'ed 2AZ either. That said, there are a ton of them out there running flawlessly, some with close to 100k mi on em now.

Originally Posted by sleeve
By the early 80's the FJ was gone in this country replaced by the the toyota 4x4 pick up with its more reliable little 4 banger engine.

The 22R/22RE. Now that's a reliable little mill.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
We could be shot at dawn here with all this Toyota talk but my daily driver for the past 8 years has been a 2000 Tacoma 4X4 V6.(built in the US) 150,000 miles and counting and has been a near flawless truck. Love the motor, love the truck.

I'd better add........love my old Chevy too! :>)

-Mike-


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Heh. Hey! Its Chevy related! TMC and Chev have had a long standing relationship that all started with the stovebolt motors!

Back on topic, I don't know about swapping an F into a 3100 or other Chev but ever since I got my '51 I've been into pretty much anything stovebolt.

I'd love to get my hands on one of these - http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/data_e/images/a03_08_7_2_2.jpg

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
I've had a couple of landcruisers, the last thing I would do is repower a chev with one of those engines.

Really , there is nothing wrong with a well set up stovebolt. If you are going to waste money on TMC engine , I think it would be much better if you spent it on the stovebolt, you get a double win, nice to drive truck and maintained value of said truck.

One of my landcruisers was a '74 FJ55 I repowered it with a '76 305, I put 262 heads on it , new cam etc, 450cfm holley , tri why headers and it performed very well, I did it primarily to get better mpg, that was very successful.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0