The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Trotter, mick53, GIJOE298, Mike'sPlace, Otto Skorzeny, Hush, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,288
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87467 04/20/2002 10:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
I have a 1953 GMC and purchased a new horn contact assembly but now the question is how do I get a new horn wire? The steering wheel is removed but all there is is the steering shaft that goes down the steering column tube. I dont see any old wire or place to run the wire. :confused: HELP, HELP, HELP !!!

#87468 04/21/2002 1:38 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
1
Member
Member
1 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
Mr 53 GMC. The horn wire is part of the steering mast bearing. You pretty much have to destroy the bearing to get it out. New bearing with a horn wire are available. Make sure you tape a string or small wire to the old wire as you pull the old one out. This will aid in the install of the new one. Trying to fish the wire through the whole in the mast is a real pain in the whatchamacallit. Hope this helps.


Been driven and loving my 50 for 27 years. With the same stuff Chevy put in it from the get go.
#87469 04/21/2002 2:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
Thanks for the info. Now the only question is how do I get the mast bearing out? I appreciate any help. smile

#87470 04/22/2002 4:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Buckaroo,

I just finished this same operation on my '44 Chevy 1 1/2 ton. took me about 8 hours, for what should be a two hour job. But then, that's how ALL my projects go!

So take this advice with a grain of salt. I don't know your truck at all, but I am ASSUMING that it's like mine . . . the mast bearing is a sort of plug and flat ring type assembly which sits inside the steering column, separated from the column by some sort of thin insulator.

1st, I'd say read the tech tip from this site about this process for a 41 - 47 Chev. I know it's not your truck, but it may prove insiteful. Also, maybe do a search under "Horn" on this site.

2nd, I found a diagram for my steering column in the Chevs of the 40s catalog, and it was invaluable. You probably wont find a picture of the mast bearing in the service manual, which is frustrating.

3rd, what finally worked for me, was this. First, I committed to absolutely destroying the old bearing to get it out, hopefully without damaging the column. So, being careful not to damage the inside shaft, I used an old drill bit to drill a hole down between the central shaft and the outer column. 2nd, I used a hammer and small flat head screw driver as a wedge all the way around the column, between the top of the column and the insulator of the bearing. 3rd, I found in my local hardware store a group of three tools called, I think, "PROBES." They sorta look like dentists' tools, different style hooks, etc. By GRADUALLY working with the various probes and a small screw driver, I was able to finally pry the &^*!-thing out. Then I stomped on it, cursed at it, burned it, and called it names for the trouble it caused me!

As for the new wire, I used some stiff-coated wire from Radio-Shack I had (don't remember the guage) and fished it UP the column from the hole in the bottom. Take it very slow, and if it snags, try wiggleing the shaft to help it free up(THAT sounds obscene!). Once it's through, attach the old wire, and carefully pull it back through.

Now that you've read this whole post, I should probably tell you, when I finished, I had done too good a job – the *^%! horn went off every time I turned right! Finally got it worked out though.

Best of luck, and I really hope this helps.

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
#87471 04/25/2002 12:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 244
Thanks for the great information. I'll take it slow as it appears to be a long process. smile


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0