| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | I ordered a rebuild kit from chevy of 40s for my 1 bbl rochester b. Bought a used rochester bc off evilbay.
Followed the rochester rebuild video on utube with mike from mikes carb shop and support photos from a link on bangshift.
Got a better power piston of my parts carb etc.
Followed the video to the letter .
shes leaking fuel real good out the pivot point of the lower butterfly. I tried swappibg the throttle body off my parts carb but less improvement.
Last edited by DinoKruzOrdinanc; 08/13/2012 6:11 AM.
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | Ideas on what to check....should I punt? She ran when I parked her and sat for 2 years. I dont believe she was blowin gas out then.
She ran when I parked her didnt include brakes. They guy I got her from said just turn off the engine and shell roll to a stop.
I freed up the passenger front varnished wheel cylinder and replaced it with new parts. The driver side was stuck solid ...unbolted wheel cylinder to release pads from drum. No luck.
Last edited by DinoKruzOrdinanc; 08/13/2012 6:08 AM.
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | I called mikescarb shop and he said he is only doing 4 bbl stuff now 7 days a week. I did tell him thank u for posting that rebuild video as I had watched it before speaking to him.
Im running a factory 235 splask with my.leakchester 1bbl. I have a carter (w-1 I believe) somewhere in my shop.that.needs serious attention. Punt?
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | If the throttle shaft is loose in the housing, you will need to have bushings put in to fix the problem. Is it producing black smoke? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 | I have said this before and and have personally proven that this works. To fix a Rochester B, replace it with a Carter YF. It won't leak after that.
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | I agree with MikeE's post, I did the exact thing on my dual setup.
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I am still running a Rochester and it is giving me excellent service. I will say though that the first one I rebuilt and used always presented a problem. Sometimes you have to try another one. The ones after the upgrade in 52 are much better. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | If it leaks out the throttle shaft you are leaking past the needle & seat. It may have a piece of dirt in it or a float with gas in it. Those are good carbs & simple to work on. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | I got a nice carter yf from a guy that just had it rebuilt by hobbs carb service pelham nh. Haha the manifold is 3 inches bolt patteen the carter is 2a 15/16 advance auto parts didnt have an adapter or riser recommended JCWhitney who does have anything or atleast sergio doesnt understand my rewuest
Suggestions?
Thanks for the input before and niw
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,767 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,767 | Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | |
| |
| |