The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Peggy M, kades51, fonz8261, Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, tclederman), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
I wanted to follow up on a question I have regarding the correct distrubtor shaft gear for use in my 1954 chevy engine. From information I have found the cam in 53 and early 54s were forged steel with a narrow dist drive gear. Early 54s were changed to a cast camshaft with a wide drive gear of about 1/2". Now I have been able to tell that the cam I have is the later 54 cast cam with the wide dist drive gear.
Now my question is the distributor I purchased for my 54 - is the dist drive gear material any different based on the cam I am using? Seems the gear to be used on the forged cam is very hard and the gear used on the cast cam is of a softer material.
Is there any way to tell wich gear I have or does it really matter?? I have ataached a photo of my dist if that helps. Sorry if it does not show up since I have not posted a photo before.


http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab81/chevyguy54/

Thanks,
John Lanning

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have an Identification chart on my Blog. Type D with one groove is most common. BLOG LINK


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Hi Dave!
Well you cannot believe how many times I have referred to your blog and reference material. The information found there is what prompted my questions. Actually I could not identify any of the rings you referred to on my dist gear. I was able to take a small file and scratch the surface but it was not easy.
Just not sure if I am making too big of a deal about this gear/metal thing or not..
john

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
You are definitely not making to big a deal about the gear/metal thing. Getting it wrong will result in failure. If you have the cast iron cam it will take the beating. Dave's information has been a terrific resource for many of us.

Chuck

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Dave thanks for the link to your blog.

Did you produce this excellent photo-log for distinguishing characteristics of 216/235 engines? It also has a nice photo of camshafts (and other helpful photos/information). Thanks.

http://pugetsoundvintagechevrolet.org/Programs/6%20cylinder%20engines%20with%20photos.pdf

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
John, the rings can be very shallow. Another way I can identify the gears is: Gears for steel cams are hard and a file will hardly touch, Gears for cast cams can easily be filed.

Tim, the Puget Sound link is a presentation I did for my local VCCA club.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
One more thing John, If the gear has not ever been removed from the distributor you can identify it by the number on the points plate.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Well I checked the hardness of the dist gear on my new unit and indeed it can be scratched fairly easy with a file so I am assuming it is a cast gear and ok to use with my cast camshaft since the gear portion on the cam is 1/2" wide gear - telltale for a cast cam.

Interesting note, the distrubutor that came with the engine that I am not using is 1112388 dated 4A05 and had the ring or grove close to the gear like "Type "D". It seemed harder to scratch though.

Seems all is ok with using the new dist with my cam.
Thanks for everyone's input.
John


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0