The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Will you please explain how the access cover should be positioned on the steering column of my 1954 3100 4-spd; and how the horn wire should exit the cover and be routed to the rear of the dash?

My steering column hasn't had a cover on the access opening since I have had it. It covers the square opening on the bottom of the steering column and the white wire in this pic. The wire connects the horn button to the horn relay. The cover is described as a "wire clamp" on p.109 in the '54 Accessories Installation Manual, but the screw location in the diagram is different to mine.
< PIC - 1954 ACCESS OPENING & WIRE >

I got a cover for the access opening. Strange looking thing, but I believe that it is correct. The tab on the end that is opposite the screw slides into the square access opening on the bottom of the steering column. It is secured by a screw into the right side of the steering column, not into the bottom of the column as shown in the Acc Inst Man.
<PIC - COVER >

My cover dosen't look like the cover on DADS50's 1950 3100. His small cover and screw are on the top of the steering column and appear to be much lower on the column. Plus the cover has a hole for the wire to exit.
< PIC - 1950 COVER >

How does the wire exit a '54 cover? The only place that has a gap large enough for the wire is on the "screw end" of the cover. If it exits there, it will be fully visable on the right side of the column and it will be unprotected as it goes behind the dash. Do I have the wrong piece? Is my steering column mounted wrong? I'm baffled.

Sorry for such a long-winded post about a simple question. Photos may help me understand. Thanks for your help,

EDIT: Just had a thought ... are the hole and cover for the turn signal wires that were new for '54? If so, what is the routing for the horn wire?

Last edited by LonnieC; 07/25/2012 10:45 PM. Reason: Turn signal wiring?

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 305
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 305
Lonnie,

If you can wait until the weekend, I'll take a piture of mine.

John

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
That wire cover was intended for the turn signal wires(new to 54)
and also to house the horn wire.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433


1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Thanks guys for answering my question.

> delux54panel: I got the cover from another Stovebolter. Since '54 was the first model year that it was used, I consider myself pretty lucky to have found one - and one that is in great condition.

> healingbear: My cover and horn wire will look exactly like yours. I now see why the cover did not go to the top of the steering column ... the column shift would have been in the way. (I have a 4-spd)

> 54John3100: I received the pics that you sent to my email. They show the wires for the turn signals plus the horn wire. The horn wire looks exactly like healingbear's. For anyone interested ... the turn signal wires are a flat ribbon of wires that neatly exit the cover at the same place that the horn wire exits.

I posted my "puzzlement" last night at 10:40pm EDT. I read your replies and pictures this morning at 7:00am EDT and now feel like an expert. This is a great forum.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0