The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (rfs56trk, WingWright, Jon G, Rusted Nut, Woodcmiami), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,260
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86533 09/09/2002 12:13 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have been looking for the period radio for my 51 GMC. It turns out that they are fairly rare, and the ones that are available cost a bundle.

On Friday, I picked up a 1953 Olds radio which is physically very similar except that the controls are spaced at 6 1/2 instead of 7 1/2 inches. However, because of the way that the Olds radio was designed, it is possible to relocate the controls to fit perfectly into the dash opening for the AD truck. It turns out that my "new" radio works and I had forgotten what a great sound these old radios produced!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86534 09/09/2002 1:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its great to search the AM side of the radio band.
No problem finding oldies stations. When conditions are right [ during " skip " phases ] you can pull in AM stations from thousands of miles away !!!!

#86535 09/09/2002 9:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
MT, I like the AM band also.I search the dial and usually can find some 40's big band music or a talk show.Tony can't stand AM, he calls it "Amplified Manure".

#86536 09/09/2002 11:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am an AM fan too. When I was getting this radio to work the other day, I tuned into a local station that plays 40s and 50s music all day long. I thought how appropriate. With all the modern electronics these days, I don't think anything beats the sound that booms from an old 50s radio in one of the old cars.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86537 09/09/2002 11:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Joy,,, some people do not know how to enjoy ALL the finer things in life grin
Tony does like old trucks and he is still with you so he can`t be all that bad :p grin
Have you heard of Al or Patty Hendrickson?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#86538 09/10/2002 12:54 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
R
rat Offline
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
I guess I'm going to have to get a radio, I can't stand my own singing any more. Do you think thats why nobody will ride with me? :confused:


'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#86539 09/10/2002 2:49 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Trucknix,

I have a '47 Olds radio which is also a pretty close match for knobs and speaker but the face is wrong. I would need to hack up the dash board so I didn't use it.

Radio Bill on another web page gave me some advice. If you use an old radio without having it checked over and parts replaced, use the minimum amperage fuse which will keep it going. There's still a chance that it will catch on fire!


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#86540 09/10/2002 4:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Wally,
the fuse idea is a good one. There is quite a variety of living things that sometimes nest in these radios as they wait for a new owner. My Olds radio has a face which is on a different angle than the chassis. Because of this, they used a flexible drive on the tuner and this will allow me to relocate the tuner control 1/2 inch to the right. Relocating the volume/tone control is simple.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86541 09/11/2002 3:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
yall know yall want that fm converter i got in my attic.

#86542 09/11/2002 12:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
No,I haven't heard of them (Al or Patty Hendrickson). I listen to AM740 out of Canada. When it was real hot yesterday they said it was a record 34 degrees.... LOL I guess thats hot. around 97? Love the simple, slow,fun they have. No shockjocks here. Tony can have his Brother Wease and the Nerve! eek In my trucks Am is all ready to go. To answer the question, isn't there cool radios forsale in Hemmings,even JC Whitney, brand new that will fit in AD trucks?I might get one of those some day. I must admit I have a modern radio hooked up under the dash. Then I can listen to The Shadow and old Amos and Andys when we are on a trip.

#86543 09/12/2002 9:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
Truckernix you must have been listening to 1050 CHUM As CHUM AM is back after 18 months, and yes those old tube radios do have a different sound than the new transistor ones.

#86544 09/12/2002 9:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Albert,
isn't it great that CHUM 1050 came to their senses ? I was actually listening to AM 740. I agree with you, these old boxes sound great!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86545 09/13/2002 4:08 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
I have restored 3 of the lunch box radios for my old car 2 push button an a wonderbar, and have had it playing while i have been prepping it for painting, and had quit a few comments about the sound. I was lucky that one of my other hobbies in electronics, and also that i managed to pick up two good tube tester for checking them out..

#86546 09/13/2002 4:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Albert,
I have been looking for the circuit for the solid state vibrator. I think it would be a waste of time for me to design one from scratch. Would you have the circuit for it ?

We will have to touch basis. I don't have a lot of new equipment but I do have a signal generator and scope, all tube of course !

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86547 09/13/2002 10:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Quote
Originally posted by Wally / Montana:
Trucknix,

If you use an old radio without having it checked over and parts replaced, use the minimum amperage fuse which will keep it going. There's still a chance that it will catch on fire!
If it hasn't been checked out but it works fine, can it still catch fire? If it doesn't work, what should I check for? Just curious, I don't want mine to catch fire. Also what is the best speaker(s) to hook up to the AM radio?

Chevyboy62


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
#86548 09/13/2002 11:44 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
Check out www.tubesandmore.com for plug-in solid state vibrators. They are $30.


Jason
#86549 09/14/2002 1:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Jason,
thanks for the link. I wouldn't start building one for that money !

Chevyboy62,
the fire thing is sort of a general precaution. All these tube type radios use a highvoltage supply inside of about 200V or more. If there is some kind of conductive dirt or something inside, it could be a problem. I would open it up and clean it out with an artist brush, compressed air and then contact cleaner or rubbing alchohol. Tip it over to let it run out. You can use swaps too. Don't try and pull the tubes out unless you need to because the glass can separate from the base.

I have seen modern solid state stereos do a pretty good job of smoking too!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86550 09/14/2002 6:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Y'all got me starting another project. grin I've always wanted to listen to the oldies station, or a game while driving. wink Never had the privilage. frown I've had listened to talkshows while at work. Someone mentioned that the old radio tubes sounds different than todays radios? Which one is better?

Chevyboy62


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
#86551 09/14/2002 11:53 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
In reality, the modern electronics gives you about as close to perfect reproduction as is possible. In an old truck though, that is probably irrelevant. A funny thing happened when CD technology came out. Many people didn't like the sound because they weren't used to such a pure reproduction. They were actually used to coloured sound, that is sound that was actually altered by the old technology. When I listen to my old radios, nostalgic enjoyment overrides any shortcomings of the technology.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#86552 09/14/2002 1:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
One thing to remember about the old radios also is that the sound quality of the recording equipment was not as it is today. The tube radios seem to have a warmer sound than the transistor ones. The main problem I have had with the older car radios is the old paper capactors have dried out, which takes about an hour or so to replace the 7 or 8 of them at cost of maybe $5 or $6 and yes make sure there is an inline fuse.

#86553 09/25/2002 5:02 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
I have no knowledge of old radios but have had experience with guitar amplifiers and I'll take a tube amp over a tranny amp everytime. The sound is 'warmer' and once those valves get hot man do they sing. Wish I still had the Mesa Boogie. Love that old original sound.


Send David Hicks home - now!
"Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0