The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jack Ryan, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 72 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,326
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
You shoulda seen the looks shot at me last night on the way home from dinner when the temp was 40 degrees and the heater not working. The other half won't ride anymore without a heater, so I tried hooking it up today, using the heavy duty voltage reducer from our sponsor, ATCP. How hot is the reducer supposed to get? I could barely touch it, no way to hold it-really, really hot. Where to mount it if it gets that hot? It's about the size of a roll of dimes, 3 inches long, a tab at both ends for the wires. Just for fun, I tried just for a second running it without the reducer...wow...gotta clean all the dust-looked like a sandblaster going off. Wife would have been warm all right. Don't know if it makes a diiference, but I tried running it off the battery directly, no fuse or anything, and the truck is 12 volt neg. Anybody know of any good articles about the original heaters? I got the accesory install manual, but it's only so-so. Please help! Mean wife!


51 Chevy 1/2 ton-Restored
46 GMC 1 1/2 ton-Farm Fresh
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Tell your wife that heat isn't everything, and or next time get a steel bucket and drop some hot coals in it for the ride home.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 66
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 66
my voltage reducer gets that hot. I mounted it on the inside the end of heater. right where it blows into the cab. That way, the "heated air" would cool it down, and also, nothing flamable close :p .

Brian K


Sometimes, David beats Goliath. Nobody talks, however, about how many little guys Goliath already beat into the ground. . .
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
I made a metal bracket for mine and mounted it behind the radio grill on the lip on the bottom of the dash. It is up out of the way, is not touching anything. Seems to work okay there.

I do like the idea of mounting inside the heater.
:rolleyes:

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
My aftermarket Sears Allstate heater (1949 period piece) had a 6V motor. I replaced it with a 12V motor and did away with the V reducer, fan flies, no worries. Do a search for 'fan motor', I bought it from a website found here.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I'll second the idea of a new 12 volt heater motor. I bought one at the parts store. It looked exactly like the 6 volt motor. Bolted right in. Works fine.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Because the voltage reducer is cutting the voltage in half by being in series with the fan motor, it has to waste the same amount of power that the fan motor draws, which is a lot.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Another option is to use two of the resistors and wire them in parallel. It doesn't lower the voltage as much, but it also doesn't get nearly as hot.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wiring the resistors in parallel will reduce the effective resistance to half(assuming both resistors have the same resistance). As you said this means the voltage to the fan motor will be higher. You run the risk of it being too high and damaging the motor.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
If heat is an issue:
1. Get a resistor of the same resistance, but one designed to dissapate more wattage (heat), or:
2. a. Get four of the resistors you now have
b. Make two sets of two resistors wired in
series
c. Take the two sets of series resistors (2 in
each series) and wire them in parallel.
You will end up with the same effective resistance as one resistor, but with heat dissapation distributed among four resistors instead of one.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
But you will still be wasting all that energy into the cab. I like to use my fan for ventilation sometimes (fresh air heater). A 12V motor is the way to go.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
You can get a universal replacement motor for about $25. Using large resistors is very poor practice. If you are he** bent on using a resistor for dropping voltage: Use a resistor rated for at least double the actual dissipation. I really like the aluminum housed wirewounds since I can mount them to a heat sink. But in the end you will have spent enough to replace the motor!!!


Jason
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
When Mrs. Wally and I were both 17 years and "parking" in my light green '51 Chevy DeLuxe near the local cemetery in 1962 or so, we both noticed a hot smell under the dash. The cig lighter had shorted. I pulled out the wire and got a lot of sympathy for my burns. It has nothing to do with a hot voltage reducer but your question has made us smile about our youth.

(Note: This post has been approved by Mrs. Wally.)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Wally,, was that wired in on purpose grin :p :p (i thought you knew easier ways to get sypathy)


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
I dunno what kinda truck you have but the AD fresh air heater fan motor in 12 volt guise is available from Grainger Inc. - I found the P/N in an old post and bought one for cheap .

Conversely the dropping resistors for the three speed fans on GM products on the 60's were always
mounted in the defroster duct so there'd be some airflow any time the motor was run .

Better fix this PDQ ~ winter is about here and SWMBO must be appeased ! .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Care to repeat the part # Nate? I need one or two of those motors.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
Sadly , I don't have it ~! I got it here from an older post , ordered it and ripped the package to sh*t removing it to see if it was really the correct one , in my excitement I destroyed the part number info , I'm sure if you can search rhe archives this is in there somewheres .

Search heater of fan motor , like that - it never works for me but I'm told it does work .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I'll look for it too (Grainger part #), although I have an old Sears Allstate circa'50's heater I used the same 12V motor, runs like a Deere!


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am pretty sure the one at the bottom of this page is it.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Ken, your link took me to a blank page. 12 volt motor
Part # 2M197


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
So that 12 volt motor from Grainger will fit right in to the heater on the AD trucks? Or is there some 'engineering' involved?

-W

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fred,

You have to have adobe acrobat and scripting enabled on your browser and it pulls up the sheet of interest.

Wooger . . . that motor is a bolt in and should not require any mods.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Does Grainger still require you to have a commercial account with them or can you walk into their store and pay cash?


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0