The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (wilbur53, Jay R, Gdads51, John Dlugos, Goach2, Woodcmiami), 248 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,154
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Take a look at these pics and tell me if my passenger side tail light is upside down. I know the drivers side is correct, because it has the clear lense at the bottom which serves as the license plate light. The passenger side is basically the same except that it doesn't have the clear lense. However, the passengers side is upside down in relation to the drivers side. It's been that way since I got the truck, and I always assumed that's how it was supposed to be. The bulbs are wired the same on both left and right, meaning both bottom bulbs are tail, and both top bulbs are turn/brake.

However, I noticed the other day that one side is slightly brighter than the other, and I think that is due to the angle that the bulb bracket is on. If you notice they are both on an angle, but one is on an opposite angle than the other. You can't change the angle of the bulb bracket, there is a groove and a screw hole in the housing that dictates the angle. So this is why I think the passenger side might be upside down. If I flipped it, the angle would be the same, and thus they would likely have the same amount of brightness (after I rewired the bulbs).

The thing is, the way the mounting holes are on the bck of the housing allows it to be mounted only one way, so I coudn't flip it unless I drilled new mounting holes in the back.

So the question is, are they supposed to be this way? Or did someone along the way replace the passenger side, and drilled the mounting holes backwards? I would assume that the housing would come with the mounting holes already drilled though.

Drivers side: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-60Q-h2vOppo/T-R1g7gBlUI/AAAAAAAAB7A/kYnchMgU6mU/s720/IMG_0604.JPG

Passenger side: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qkZ0iUSdTfI/T-R1hzPLznI/AAAAAAAAB7E/37fYkYkVVJY/s720/IMG_0605.JPG

Last edited by stevebolt; 06/22/2012 2:54 PM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
just the way the General cheaped out when a 2nd light became optional [but required in some states] ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Okay, I looked at it again, and I don't know why it didn't occur to me the first time, but when I unbolted and flipped the passenger side, the holes linedup fine. So there doesn't seem to be a reason why they were flipped like that. I guess it's very possible that someone screwed up and mounted the passenger side housing up side down. So anyway, now they are both the same, oriented like the drivers side pic. So now I just need some clarification, should the bottom bulb be the park light, and the top bulb be the blinker/brake?


Thanks


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
You are correct with the bottom bulb being the park light and the top bulb being the blinker and brake. It was told to me that the brightest light or filament in the bulb of the two should be the brake light on. if this is wrong someone please correct me. Good luck!!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
The park light also illuminates the licence plate/clear lens on drivers side.

Your passenger side bracket looks like it has an extra arm. Hard to tell from the pic. Normally you cannot flip the housing without modification.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
You can put a slight bend in the bulb bracket that will leave you enough room to put a #1129 in the socket for your brake light. Use a #81 for the tail light and you'll have more light (in candle power) on 6v than a #1157 12v. 6v with that modification on the left & 12v on the right. Keep in mind the 12v in the photo has a much larger housing and a mirror reflector in the housing.

Last edited by Tiny; 06/22/2012 8:16 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Sorry if I forgot to mention that it's a 12 volt system. It was converted by a previous owner, so I don' know what those bulbs are.


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
#89 and #1141


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Not sure if this applies, but on my tail lights, there is a small drain hole at the bottom of the housing.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
stovebolt - mine are the originals and are like yours, the passenger side is upside down and one is dimmer than the other due to the direction of the bulbs.

My guess is that they were probably all closed up when installed and no one really cared or knew any better as to how it was supposed to be properly oriented.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 106
Well, I just flipped my passengrs side so now they are both oriented like the drivers side. Then I just snipped and reversed the wires so that the bottom bulb is park and the top bulb is blinker/brake. It works fine, looks fine and now they are the same brightness since the bulbs are at the same angle now left to right. This way seems a lot more natural. Don't know why I never thought to do that before.


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Forget those small, dim bulbs. A few washers to push the bracket deeper in the housing, and you can fit an 1156 bulb for the stop light/turn signal. There is also a bracket available from Carter, maybe others. And, I recommend painting the inside of the housing gloss white, which will make your signals more visible!


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
I have an extra pair of the stepped brackets if anyone wants em. Decided to go with completely new tail lights that already have the larger 21cp bulb in them.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0